Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyway to make Hardin “silent seal” flappers  quieter? >

Anyway to make Hardin “silent seal” flappers quieter?

Notices

Anyway to make Hardin “silent seal” flappers quieter?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyway to make Hardin “silent seal” flappers quieter?

So I bought new hardin tips with silent seal internal flappers and the advertisement says how they are so much quieter than the rubber wrapped internal steel flappers.

Well, I fired the thing up and I thought the rods were gonna come flying out of my motor, after freaking out I finally realized the flappers were causing all of the noise. I pulled out the flappers and sure enough she was all quiet again.

Basically anytime the motor is below 1100rpm these things are slapping away like crazy inside the tips… so is there anyway to keep these flappers in there but keep them from making all this noise??

It seems like I may as well have saved my $150 and just kept my old silenced tips in there as they didn’t make any banging noises…..

Old 07-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gsxr1216
So I bought new hardin tips with silent seal internal flappers and the advertisement says how they are so much quieter than the rubber wrapped internal steel flappers.

Well, I fired the thing up and I thought the rods were gonna come flying out of my motor, after freaking out I finally realized the flappers were causing all of the noise. I pulled out the flappers and sure enough she was all quiet again.

Basically anytime the motor is below 1100rpm these things are slapping away like crazy inside the tips… so is there anyway to keep these flappers in there but keep them from making all this noise??

It seems like I may as well have saved my $150 and just kept my old silenced tips in there as they didn’t make any banging noises…..

I have heard some strange things but never this. We tried today and tested the silent seal flap at our facility and cannot get the thin rubber flap to make any kind of noise like this. We can't seems to make our flap duplicate your "Rod Knocking" engine noise? But for the sake of Good Customer Service give me a call and lets see if we can work out your problem. Please feel free to call me 386-445-2500

Best Regards
Old 07-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Registered

well not maybe quite a rod knocking noise, but its a "whap whap whap whap" noise. put it like this, my wife even noticed and said whats making all that noise!! like i said once it clears 1100rpm its all quiet as can be.

i'll give you a call tomorrow, any specific person to ask for or is that a direct line??

on the plus side, these tips look real NICE!!! and the seals and hardware is also good stuff also, just the noise annoys me at idle!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Registered

Just had Harden tips isntalled in mine. Not sure if they have these "silent" falppers in them but like you mine knock pretty loudly.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Secret Formula
Just had Harden tips isntalled in mine. Not sure if they have these "silent" falppers in them but like you mine knock pretty loudly.
Can someone please video what this noise is that your hearing? We have sold virtually thousands of tips with this rubber silent seal designed flap. This flap is merely a rubber flap that lays against a support cage.We have not heard of these noises? In an effort to revisit this we went outside today and ran all versions of tips and video the findings. As you will see here and cannot duplicate the noise you are referencing? We were able to hear the "Tinking" noise of the metal flap but that's about it. Here's our findings while not an exact duplication of the boat in the water we are able to get right next to the tip and not duplicate any of your clacking/knocking noise?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDiDe...ature=youtu.be

Best Regards
Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Registered

what was the rpm on your test motor in the video? as i said, mine only make noise 1000rpm and less. the noise is from the rubber flap sucking back up against the steel cage. i have silent choice, i can fire up my boat up on the trailer in my driveway and have the rpm at say 850 rpm and hear the whap whap whap from the tips all day long, as soon as i hit the silent choice button that noise is totally gone, open the through hull again and the whap whap whap is right back.

my boat is in storage already so i cant video anything now!

FWIW i did talk to the guys at hardin back in July and they offered me full refund on the tips so there customer service is VERY good. that being said i didnt want to remove the tips as i had my whole transom rebuilt due to a leaking tips so when i put these hardin tips in on my virgin transom I made sure every nook and cranny and screw was sealed up tight so i would rather deal with the noise than chance having a leak back into my transom by removing them and putting in different tips
Old 12-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered

It was about 850 RPM at idle.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Registered

Glad I found this post, I just installed new tips with the flappers like in the picture and I developed a knocking noise. I thought I spun a bearing,oil filter is clean ,oil pressure is good and it must be the flapper!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Registered

Hardin folks, is this the same assembly as you use in the new clamp-on tips?

John C
Old 08-28-2012, 04:19 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

iy MIGHT be more noticable with really aggressive cams. stock cams won't pull back as much at low rpm's...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.