Notices

altenaor ?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default altenaor ?

I have had a issue with the motor cutting out for a split second when i am running above 4800 rpm. Today i was out it did it i let out throttle a little and it did it again and the motor died. After that i have no power to anything, i belive i blew the 90 amp fuse on the starter. luckly a friend had one so im gonna change it out.
I read a post on here some one had same issue with motor cuting out at upper rpm and someone said it could be alt going out.
Has anyone had this issue before? lookin for any thoughts on it. Probably gonna go ahead and have alt rebuilt just in case
Old 07-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Registered

Oh yeah. The motor is a carbed hp500
Old 07-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered

You most likely have a short to ground in one of your ignition 12v wires. This will cause the coil to loose 12v intermittantly. When the short gets bad enough it blows an inline fuse (20A) that runs to your ignition keyswitch. You loose all power to gages, crank and ignition when this fuse is blown.

You need to replace the fuse then find the short. There is an "excite" ignition wire that runs to the alternator that supplies 12v to it when the key is on. So it could be that wire. Best thing to do is lift all the wires off the + side of the coil. Replace the fuse. Turn the ignition to run (not start). Then one at a time touch the wires to the coil + post and see which one sparks. The one that sparks is the one shorted.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Registered

i checked all fuses none were blown. But i do have a short some were. Put on a new fuse at starter and as soon as you turn the battery on it sparked and blew. I hooked it up with out it and it pops the 50 amp breaker as soon as battery is turned on.
I have no power to anything Stereo, trim, lights guages nothing works. I had to undo drive and tie it up towing it home
Old 07-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Registered

I would lift the positive battery cable going to the starter and see if you can turn on the battery switch. It sounds now like a failure internal to the starter.