Risers too hot?

Notices

Risers too hot?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Risers too hot?

Here's the scenario...

I have a 89 Cobalt Cndr 223 with a fresh rebuilt 454 and a Bravo 1 drive. The impeller took a dump and the motor overheated cracking the exhaust manifolds. This appears to be the only damage from the overheat. I replaced the manifolds with a used set that I picked up from the guy who did the motor for me. I used my old spacers and risers. Boat runs well at around 150 deg on the gauge but the risers seem to be getting real hot in spots to the touch. Are they supposed to be hot on the tops or cool?I cant recall how they were before the incident. I did get some chunks of the impeller out of the steering cooler. I believe I got them all.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They will be warm to the touch. If they are HOT, and you cant kepp your hand on it for more than a few seconds, you may have some blockage. I would try another backflush just to be sure. After a long run, they tend to heat up once at idle, but only for a short time, and then cool again with good water flow.

Darrell.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Darrell Ill give it another try. Maybe a piece is still in the steering cooler? Cant see much getting passed that small hole that wouldn't have gotten blown out.

Mike