Jetting & stroking >

Jetting & stroking

Notices

Jetting & stroking

Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Jetting & stroking

All the recent jetting talk has me rethinking my jetting. I had the guy who did my heads set up my carb while he was dynoing one of his 505 stroker motors. I’ve found longer stroke motors use smaller jets in 2 stroke sled motors I’ve played with. More pull/ vacuum on the jets w/ longer strokes. Does the same generality hold true w/ the four strokes? Maybe I should fatten up the jetting on my 4” stroke 454 vs the 4.25” stroke 505 the carb was set for. I know plug reads or a wideband will tell me for sure but just wondering what others have experienced.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:31 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Yes, More air thru a carb's boosters pulls more fuel...however, this does not always/usually mean richer Air fuel ratios. Chances are you'll need to add larger jets when adding cids and more power. Edit in: many other things will effect jetting too. Exhaust, cam, intake manifold, etc,etc.

Famous quote from Darrin Morgan - let the engine tell you what it wants. Are you listening ?

In other words, don't guess. Give it what it wants. It will tell you.

Last edited by SB; 08-24-2011 at 09:35 PM.