Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What is the maximum V . Before there is no return on the ride ? >

What is the maximum V . Before there is no return on the ride ?

Notices

What is the maximum V . Before there is no return on the ride ?

Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the maximum V . Before there is no return on the ride ?

Want to put a " constant deep V " under this old woody design with the vertical bow. Cut out everything but the bottom triangles that will form the bottom most hull section.

All the frame / skeleton parts are Okoume on 12" frame centers. Did some actual weight calculations. 1 rear bench seat with 500# of driver & mechanic, 350 Chevy, trans, running gear and a finished hull is about 1600# to 1800#. RTR.

Do not care about ANYTHING but the 21' X 4' wide X 4' deep hull SPLITTING 3' waves.
I realize this style & combination is a ABSOLUTE submarine in a + 4' or higher wave & WILL FILL up in a hurry. NO problem. My stupidity.

After how many degrees of constant deep V hull, do I not get a improvement in a level , wave splitting, boat ride?

Remember....Only a vertical bow. I can not seem to find how to post a plan picture.

Thanks for the help.
Rich
Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Practically speaking, the most deadrise you're going to find out there is about 25 degrees. 24 is much more common though.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For just splitting waves, then the more the merrier. A common example of an extreme deadrise hull would be a typical beach catamaran (e.g. Hobie or Pringle etc). A great ride but the hull will also disappear under the water relatively easily.

Typical wisdom on a Vee monohull gives a practical maximum of 24 degrees. More than this and it becomes difficult to get the boat on plane. Of course there are boats made with more deadrise than this, just takes more energy to move them. There are also stability issues at extreme levels of deadrise as well as the buoyancy issues mentioned above. If you keep the boat light and the C.G. low, you can probably get away with a pretty radical number given enough freeboard. Just how much becomes a question for a marine architect and probably can't be answered here.

Fun food for thougth though!

Dan