Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Crossover vs stock circulating pump (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/264644-crossover-vs-stock-circulating-pump.html)

baja24outlaw 10-24-2011 12:48 PM

Crossover vs stock circulating pump

I have a Mercury HP 500 carb engine, all new set up back to factory specs with the exception of a better spring set. I installed a new crossover and thermostat housing in place of my original Mercury circulating pump with a 160 degrees thermostat, I am noticing hotter temps ranging from 200 to 225 even at almost any speed and steamy exhaust. I live in Gulf Shores Alabama and our water temps haven't gotten really cold yet, should I re-install the circulating pump rather than use the crossover on this engine?
Please email me with responses, thanks:

[email protected]

jeffswav 10-24-2011 01:21 PM

Did you drill holes in the thermostat? I have been using one for several years and has worked well, I have also found that the high flow thermostats work a better.

baja24outlaw 10-24-2011 02:11 PM

Yes I drilling 4 small holes around the outer perimeter of the thermostat itself, then re-installed it. Engine heated up fairly quickly to 200 degrees again. Not much water flowing through exhaust tubes either. I had hoped this set up would work fine, I like it so much better than having to have that circulation pump installed, but at the same time want the engine to run cooler.
I am wondering if I should try it without any thermostat before taking everything back off?

Also, does anyone happen to know the exact timing setting on the Merc 500 carb engine? I have been told it was 8 degrees but want to be sure. Thanks to all whom respond.

[email protected] 10-24-2011 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by baja24outlaw (Post 3535427)
Yes I drilling 4 small holes around the outer perimeter of the thermostat itself, then re-installed it. Engine heated up fairly quickly to 200 degrees again. Not much water flowing through exhaust tubes either. I had hoped this set up would work fine, I like it so much better than having to have that circulation pump installed, but at the same time want the engine to run cooler.
I am wondering if I should try it without any thermostat before taking everything back off?

dont run the thermostat!, i could be wrong but i have the crossover with hp500 carb. its gonna run really cool hell i live on the same water as you do and on a hot day my temp wont hardly get over 150deg! dont just take my word for it get on the do it your self page and make sure, ive had this set up for 3yrs and i dont run thermostats!

baja24outlaw 10-24-2011 04:24 PM

Thanks, I plan to keep the set up if I can, no reason for it not to work. I plan to check for some restrictions at the transom and check the impeller, which was good before. One way or the other, I am going to cover this issue! My wife used to have a 89 Cafe Racer! Nice boats.

Artate78 10-24-2011 05:56 PM

You nead to make sure your oil Temp. Is getting up to 212 or you will have condensation in your oil. And your water psi stays under 20 psi.

jbraun2828 10-24-2011 08:49 PM

Do you have a by-pass so exhaust gets water when the thermostat is closed? If you don't you can't use a stat. They also make restrictor plates that help slow down water flow and build a little heat. Also your oil doesn't have to get over 212 degrees. 190-200 is fine.

offthefront 10-24-2011 09:08 PM

got a pic of your setup? I would consider going back to the circ pump though..... more consistant temps ...and water Pressure ....you really gain nothing ....m

ThisIsLivin 10-25-2011 07:16 AM

I would check your water pressure. With a good high flow stat you shouldn't be that hot. If you don't have a bypass, get one. I run in colder water, but even with a 650hp 524, I barely hit 150 with a 160 thermostat. My biggest problem with my system is the right side runs 15 degrees cooler than the left.