Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   need an oil cooler??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/265504-need-oil-cooler.html)

2tonchevy 11-10-2011 01:47 PM

need an oil cooler???

question:

if my water and oil temps are good (160ish and 200ish respectively) do i still need an oil cooler?

i have a couple i can use....5x24 and 2x14...

bcfountain 11-10-2011 07:40 PM

you probly want to keep the oil temp around 220-245.this will insure any water from condensation will boil-off and not contamanate the oil.whats the oil look like?milky?if it looks good ,you are probley ok.

2tonchevy 11-10-2011 08:05 PM

hi! thanks for the reply!

th eoil looks fine so far. brand new engine...only ran it a few times for bout 30-45 mins at a time.....just testing props and working out some minor bugs.

i havnt had an issue with engine heat or water in the oil yet....the oil looks perfect so far. just turnin a lil brown like oil tends to do......lol but no milk.

just wanted to know if the cooler was a necessity or is it optional based on the oil condition/temp and engine temp.

should i run it and just watch these parameters as i put a few hours/hard runs on the boat?

1BIGJIM 11-10-2011 10:00 PM

I am going to guess you are running a small block.

Yes I would put an oil cooler on it. Cheaper than the cost of a rebuild.

pqjack 11-11-2011 06:23 AM

5 x 24 oil cooler....where did you get it?...thanks

2tonchevy 11-11-2011 08:29 AM

im running a 468 NA motor. 9.5 comp. diamons pistins, forged rods and crank. 088 milled ported and polished heads. 2.25/1.88 valves/ isky roller, crower roller rockers, HEI dsit, super comp headers......

bought the 5x24 from a guy that was gnna put it in his project boat.....its made by San Juan engineering. it BIIIG. i have some smaller ones.....

i think i will install one over the winter.....ima use a Hayden sandwich style /filter mount/oil cooler adapter w/built in thermostat and plumb it into either my 5x24 or my 2x14. id rather use the small one in this case if it will suffice. like i said...i ahvnt had any issues with oil temp or water temp....just a precaution.

zt260 11-11-2011 08:47 AM

It's best to install a thermostat with the cooler or your oil might never reach 212* so condensation can boil off.

2tonchevy 11-11-2011 08:53 AM

hi thanks for the reply!

yea i have been reading up on the oil cooler installs on here...good info.

i am gonna use a thermostatically controlled sandwich style oil cooler adapter/filter base made by Hayden.

then plumb from adapter to my cooler and back.

but again....just for general info: other than the added capacity of oil....what benefits does the cooler add if you have no temperature problems to begin with? i.e. oil heating up ...water temps being too high...etc...

and just to double check myself: where is the best place to install the oil temp. sending unit on a BBC??

thanks!

zt260 11-11-2011 09:02 AM

My sensor is on the oil filter housing, but there are several places that will work. The main reason for the cooler is when conditions are harsh. High water/air temp and continuous hard running. Think of it as an insurance policy against disaster. Since you already have the cooler, why not?

2tonchevy 11-11-2011 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by zt260 (Post 3547421)
My sensor is on the oil filter housing, but there are several places that will work. The main reason for the cooler is when conditions are harsh. High water/air temp and continuous hard running. Think of it as an insurance policy against disaster. Since you already have the cooler, why not?

thanks for the info!

and good point about the insurance...why not......i will def install the cooler before i start boating next summer.