Subwoofer Location - Advice Needed

Notices

Subwoofer Location - Advice Needed

Old 11-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer Location - Advice Needed

I'm looking to put two 10" free air subwoofers into my 28' Bertram Baron project http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...8-project.html . My thought was to mount them under the rear bench on either side in the gunnels. I really want to try to hide them so they will not be seen from inside the cockpit that way I can try to keep the classic look of the interior. They would be mounted so the subs face each other toward the center of the boat. The inside volume of the underseat compartment is about 9.5 cubic feet but I'm sure it will be used for storage as well. From what I've read it sounds like free air / infinite baffle subs must be mounted so the fronts and backs are not in the same air space. My concern is this an acceptable location for them and the amount of sound I would get from this setup compared to the subs facing the cockpit. I will also have four 7" speakers inside the gunnels facing inward. I will be using a 5 channel amp with 75w to each speaker and 300w to the subs. I'm thinking of using Alpine components just to stay within my budget. It's a small cockpit at 5' x 7' so I'm hoping to get some decent sound but nothing to radical. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

I think they will be ok where you have them drawn. Maybe not the best because some of the bass will get muffled. On the other hand it may push the bass throughout the boat more.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what is that rectangular hole on the left side of the picture near the bottom? it looks like there is one on each side, if you can install a false speaker grill there, you can face the woofer of each sub outwards and that space will act as a port for each sub, should give decent bass that way.

Last edited by pstorti; 11-15-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
what is that rectangular hole on the left side of the picture near the bottom? it looks like there is one on each side, if you can install a false speaker grill there, you can face the woofer of each sub outwards and that space will act as a port for each sub, should give decent bass that way.
The rectangular holes are drawers built into the sides so they would not be much of a port although some air can get through the cracks.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ok in that case mount the subs where you indicated and see if facing in or out sounds best. I think you will have to do a little trial and error. You may get some rattling from those drawers depending on how loud you play your music. Nice project by the way!