Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Subwoofer basics (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/265718-subwoofer-basics.html)

tnc110 11-14-2011 09:47 PM

Subwoofer basics

I'm kinda confused. I pulled the 10" sealed Jl sub out of my truck and installed it in the cabin of my 25zx...same amp. It sounds nothing like it does in my truck...no where near as loud. I tried facing it a in several different directions. Whats the deal here?

I was planning on dropping some coin on a complete JL system with 10"IB subs. Am I going to be dissapointed? how do I get a marine system to sound like the system in my truck...do I have to build a ported enclosure???

Griff 11-14-2011 11:52 PM

A truck is small enclosed area. Boat stereos take a lot more power and speakers to achieve the same results.

baja_brian 11-15-2011 08:28 AM

Yes I am sure you will be disappointed. It is very hard to get a lot of bass out of a boat. I am pushing 4-12's and a 18" and its loud, but 1/2 of what it would be in a car. Like Griff said, it will also take a crap ton of power to push your amps. It will take double that to make it loud enough to make a noticeable difference outside your boat. Plan on spending some serious dollars.

mr3dman 11-15-2011 09:05 AM

Open air sterio in a boat is just like the motor. You need alot more than you originally thought and when you get done and are pleased with the setup, someone else runs by you and your mouth hits the floor. JL makes great stuff you just need more of it :musik010:

BDiggity 11-15-2011 09:13 AM

use a ported enclosure & not infinite baffle

tnc110 11-15-2011 09:30 PM

how about this?...Clearly its not marine rated, but.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CP112W0v2-JL...item1e64698d66

onesickpantera 11-15-2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by tnc110 (Post 3549906)
I'm kinda confused. I pulled the 10" sealed Jl sub out of my truck and installed it in the cabin of my 25zx...same amp. It sounds nothing like it does in my truck...no where near as loud. I tried facing it a in several different directions. Whats the deal here?

I was planning on dropping some coin on a complete JL system with 10"IB subs. Am I going to be dissapointed? how do I get a marine system to sound like the system in my truck...do I have to build a ported enclosure???

So it's in an enclosure now? When I installed 2 10" subs in my boat i used the are under the seat as the enclosure. I was a over the max enclosure area recommended bu Infinity but it was worth a shot. They sounded okay. I built two sealed boxes under the seat and they hit twice as hard, maybe more.

If it is in an enclosure now it should sound pretty good in the cabin as that is enclosed. Did you try playing with any adjustments on your head unit? I know mine has a level adjustment for the preamp outputs that make a HUGE difference. Just a thought.

Griff 11-16-2011 01:35 AM

My head unit also has a control for the sub output. That could be an issue.
When mine was set to the neutral position, the subs were very weak. When I turned it up, it made a HUGE difference.

88Fount33 11-16-2011 08:59 AM

I used a 10" bazooka sub with 500 watt dedicated amp, Subs really need to be inside specific designed boxes for best effect. Mine will THUMP when I want it to. But my THUMP may be peanuts to what you want. The chairman (Sinatra) doesn't need much thump to sound good.

I put the bazooka under the rear bench, that also has two 6X10's with an amp for them, 6" rounds in the cabin driven by the receiver amp. I think my system sounds fine and that is all that matters. When the sub fires (pointed to the exterior hull of the boat) it vibrates the hull pretty good.

tnc110 11-16-2011 09:29 AM

Clarion m309 hu...not too happy w it...just replaced a dual with it. The dual sounded much better. I have turned up the sub output... Emailed jl audio for advise