496ho rear main seal leaking a little oil >

496ho rear main seal leaking a little oil

Notices

496ho rear main seal leaking a little oil

Old 11-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 496ho rear main seal leaking a little oil

looking at a boat and the owner tell's me this . said its been leaking for a while but it's so small he hasn't worried about it ,
what's your thought's and what would cause this ?

also has a whipple charger on it @ 7 lbs boost on stock internal's ,200+ hour's on motor with system any thought's .

if compression and leakdown test come back good should there be any means to worry about this set up ?

thank's
mike
Old 11-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run Forest Run!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

if the engine has forged internals it would def be a plus. buying a used engine is a dangerous proposition and the price should reflect. IMO a good median price on a used engine is about 1/3 of the price of the same engine if it were new. theres just too many risks. there is no free lunch when it comes to a reliable engine.

a big question would be: does it have 200 hours total? or 200 hours since the whipple install? seems as though every engine/boat i see for sale says "fresh rebuild" or "50 hours on new engine".....its not possible that everyone is being honest......just sayin.....

and also was it rebuilt? who did the install?

if compression and leakdown are good that would also be a indictaion of a properly functioning top end (at least at the moment).....but not always a sure sign of a healthy engine.

IMO 200 hours at 7 psi on a 496 is not terribly high...but it isnt anyhting to take lightly either. i guess it depends on a few factors:

1) whats in the engine?
2) who built the engine?
3) who mantained the engine?
4) what kinda use has the engine seen?

my buddy has a saying and it goes something like this " an engines life expectancy is like a glass of water....you can pour it out slow....or you can pour it out fast. either way the glass will eventually be empty.....the only question is how fast. "

as i mentioned earlier...if the price is right then go for it.....but it better be cheap...a used engine with 200 hours, and a known issue is not gnna bring top dollar.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by verbi69
Run Forest Run!!!
x2
Old 11-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Who's going to do the leakdown test? I would want to be present to see it myself. If it has a lot of blowby passing the rings that could cause the seal to leak. Especially if the motors not vented well. 200 hours isn't many for a 1 piece seal to be leaking.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

7 psi on a stock 496 holike mentioned ,boost leaking past the rings and taking out gaskets and seals on its way out!!

X3 Run forest Run...
Old 11-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

You sure its the rear main? How can you tell the rear main is leaking in an application that you cant get to it... I mean, it isnt like a car where you can roll under it. A few guys on here have had the oil pan bolts vibrate out on a 496. Personally, my oil sending unit leaked on one of mine.

That being said, I am a big fan of the 496. I have two of them. Wrenched them, built a few and messed with them alot. But, I am not too optimistic about one with a blower. The $10 Million dollar question is who built it. If it was done by someone reputable you have a chance. If it was built and tuned by Ricky Bobby Inc., I hope you get a great deal!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered

i have to find out some more info on the tuning ect,
he said the friend he bought the boat from installed the charger with the help of dusten over the phone and had dusten do the tune on it .
they started with the 3.5 psi then when to 5 psi now its at 7 psi ,
he say's he never runs the boat wide open for more then 15 seconds @ a time

motor is 100% STOCK WITH A TOTAL OF 330 HOUR'S

THANK'S
MIKE
Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Registered

THE BOAT IS A 2004 30 FT Y2K SUPERBOAT HERE IS THE LINK.
from the sound's of it i need to get it for a real good price so i can rebuild the motor completely

Look's clean

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/13534
Old 11-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this thing is about to explode...the stock pistons are ticking time bombs with boost. Cranks aren't too strong either...Cool boat, but as stated above..."run"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.