Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Superchargers...Whipple 4.0 or 5.0 vs Roots 14-71 >

Superchargers...Whipple 4.0 or 5.0 vs Roots 14-71

Notices

Superchargers...Whipple 4.0 or 5.0 vs Roots 14-71

Old 05-29-2014, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks again everyone. FI sounds very tempting, but I think I am going to stay on the conservative side and stick with carbs for now. After all, if I make this swap/switch to the Whipple 5.0L system, then I will be leaving my Blower Shop Billet 14-71's behind...so, at least I feel I will be taking a step in the right direction.

These Whipple's that are interchangeable with the Roots type systems really sound like the way to go...especially when upgrading from a Roots system. The advantages of the Whipple over the Roots sound fantastic!

Anyway, will most likely be getting the Holley Ultra HP's in Hard Core Gray with the Black Billet Aluminum.

I have heard that the "snouts" from other blower manufacturers can be used (interchangeable) on the Whipple 5.0L....is this recommended?---and why?
Old 05-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 671 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance

Sutphen, it was a 598 with 380 cc Brodix heads. We played around with different octanes from 87-93. We stopped at 1285 hp at about 14 psi. I'm not sure how it would have done long term, but everything was stable while we held it on the dyno. My point is that the blower is capable of it if everything else is there to support it. We put it in the boat at 1200 hp at just under 10 psi.
Eddie
what rpm was this at?
Old 04-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Here's an update since my last post on this thread...something ya'll might find interesting reading....stuff I have witnessed myself----I know of 3 different BBC engines with the exact same Cubic Inches (500+cid) dyno tested on the same dyno over the past year all destined for offshore applications.....a Roots 14-71, an M4 Pro-Charger and a Whipple 8.3L/510. All 3 engines were built with solid roller cams and inter coolers.

I do not have the liberty to give detailed specifics because these engines belong to customers of my builder.

The Roots 14-71 engine was destined for an offshore racing application and had the largest cam of the 3 engines, but the heads are some older aluminum designs with porting and the same size as the M4 Pro-Charger heads. The M4 Pro-Charger engine's cam was about 3* duration larger on a 112* LSA compared to the Whipple engine's 114* LSA "tight lash" cam.----therefore, the Whipple engine has the smaller/milder cam design.

All 3 engines made peak HP and TQ within about 10hp. The Intake runners of the heads of the M4 Pro-Charger engine were about 20cc larger than the Whipple's engine's heads. Both heads were a late design cnc ported head design of the same manufacturer---with the same exhaust port size/design and same size valves. The Roots engine heads were the same size as the M4 Pro-Charger's heads, but different manufacturer/design.

The M4 Pro-Charger engine was very impressive...it had the lowest Intake Air Temps between the 3 engines. However, it took 9 lbs of boost to make the same peak HP as the Whipple engine.....The Whipple engine only took 7.5 lbs of boost to make the same HP....and the Whipple did it at a 300rpm lower rpm rate compared to the M4 Pro-Charger engine. Both engines were timed at 32*. The Roots 14-71 engine made peak power with about 11.5-12 lbs of boost with the same peak RPM as the M4 Pro-Charger. I don't remember what the timing was for the Roots engine, but being that it was built as a racing engine destined for offshore racing with the heads that the customer had at the time, then I am sure the timing was set a little higher.

This is just my own observation/opinion...but I thought it is/was a very interesting comparison and from some of what I have heard in the past about the Pro-Chargers, I thought the M4 Pro-Charger would have kicked a little more arss in the HP per RPM per pound of boost, etc, department....and I am sure it would have kept going, but at the sacrifice of higher RPM.

Even though the Intake Air Temps of the M4 Pro-Charger were cooler than the Whipple, and the Whipple cooler than the Roots---the Whipple after a long pull on the dyno with a hard pull at the end, you could lay your bare hands on the surface of the blower case of the Whipple and it would be COLD to the touch....unlike a Roots. I thought that was very impressive.

I understand every engine is different and you can argue the finer details if you want, but the smaller intake runner CC sized heads of the Whipple engine beat the larger 20cc sized heads of the M4 Pro-Charger plus with the slightly larger 3* cam and tighter LSA...at least in this reference.

Between the Roots 14-71, the Whipple 510 and the M4 Pro-Charger, I just thought the M4 Pro-Charger was really going to heavily dominate over the other superchargers---especially over the Roots engine. But the Pro-Charger engine being dominate over the Whipple engine was not impressive (at least to me). Actually, it looked to be the other way around with the Whipple engine..

The thing that IS impressive about the Pro-Charger is the low Air Intake Temps compared to the Roots and Whipple....and it's potential to make power with more boost at a higher RPM rate,----but that seems to be the higher RPM's mostly of getting into the all out racing category. By the looks of it, a Whipple is very responsive down in a lower, more usable RPM range. You touch the throttle of a Whipple engine and it responds right now, no matter what RPM you're at. I would have to say they're 2 different animals between the Pro-Charger and the Whipple---they appear to operate a little differently from each other. And this goes without saying too---the Whipple looks WAY MUCH better in appearance vs a Pro-Charger.

Last edited by KAAMA; 04-03-2016 at 09:56 AM.