Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Oil temp sensor (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/268218-oil-temp-sensor.html)

onesickpantera 01-04-2012 02:07 PM

Oil temp sensor

While the engine is out to get painted I want to move my sensor from the filter pad to the oil pan.

Dumb question, but is there a bung I can purchase to get welded to the pan?

ezstriper 01-05-2012 05:24 PM

yes, but I think it'd fine where it is..merc did to...

onesickpantera 01-05-2012 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by ezstriper (Post 3586500)
yes, but I think it'd fine where it is..merc did to...

I don't get accurate readings there. The gauge barely moves unless I do a long, hard run. It may be from the bushing/reducer putting the sensor too far away from the oil. But, from my searching the pan seems to be the best place to put it.

Griff 01-06-2012 01:35 AM

You are correct, the filter pad does not give accurate readings. The sensor needs to be completely immersed to give an accurate reading.
Check McMaster-Carr for a bunge. You may just want to drill and tap the pan and then install a brass bunge.

c_deezy 01-06-2012 01:43 AM

I've never had issues getting a good reading from the filter pad, have you compared your gauge with an infrared gun aimed at your filter?

onesickpantera 01-06-2012 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3586793)
You are correct, the filter pad does not give accurate readings. The sensor needs to be completely immersed to give an accurate reading.
Check McMaster-Carr for a bunge. You may just want to drill and tap the pan and then install a brass bunge.

I ordered one yesterday I can't believe I didn't think of McMaster. I love that site and my buddy that works at a machine shop orders 2-3 times a week.

ezstriper 01-06-2012 01:04 PM

never had any issues with the pad either..trust me in the oil line under pressure going to be imersed all the time, may work better if the filter is before the cooler..but in the filter pad you are reading the oil temp as it's just leaving the engine..not after going thru cooler and picking up block heat...

ThisIsLivin 01-06-2012 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ezstriper (Post 3587146)
never had any issues with the pad either..trust me in the oil line under pressure going to be imersed all the time, may work better if the filter is before the cooler..but in the filter pad you are reading the oil temp as it's just leaving the engine..not after going thru cooler and picking up block heat...

+1

onesickpantera 01-06-2012 04:28 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys I was just looking for a bung and found one.

The pan vs pad debate will go on forever. :D

Just like the cooler or filter first, what is the best oil filter, what is the best drive oil and my personal favorite what is the best oil? :evilb:

Rookie 01-06-2012 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by onesickpantera (Post 3587298)
Thanks for the opinions guys I was just looking for a bung and found one.

The pan vs pad debate will go on forever. :D

Just like the cooler or filter first, what is the best oil filter, what is the best drive oil and my personal favorite what is the best oil? :evilb:

I agree with the above statement.
My filter pad sender is after the cooler so it is cold. It is actually what the bearings are going to see. I believe that is the best information to have. BUT......some brilliant person a long time ago brought up the idea of running 2 senders (an extra $25), 1 before and 1 after the cooler and to use a toggle switch between the 2 sender to 1 gauge. Now you have both!!! I would like to thank whoever had that idea.

So what oil do you run??? :drink: