Technical opinion on Procharging my 01' Baja H2X >

Technical opinion on Procharging my 01' Baja H2X

Notices

Technical opinion on Procharging my 01' Baja H2X

Old 02-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technical opinion on Procharging my 01' Baja H2X

The salt water has eaten my brain enough to wanna go forward with my plan to Procharge my 2001 Baja H2X. Here are my specs and questions.

2001 Baja H2X 24' with the Mercury MX 6.2L MPI, 377 CI, 320hp. 1.50 Ratio Bravo 1 Drive

I talked to Willy today at MAC Performance in Florida and he set up a kit for me $5,400.00 out the door. It is the 5.7L kit set up for a 6.2L pushing 5 PSI and he said I don't need to upgrade the fuel delivery system unless I decide to go higher in boost. Has anyone else dealt with him or his company before he talked like hes setup quite a few larger boats? I also want to know if there is anything I should do to the drive Mercury says its good up to 400 HP as is and I can't immagine on 5 PSI it will be pushing over 450 HP.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Thumbs up

the drive will survive if you keep out of the throttle until you get going app 50 mph,no holeshots,that kills bravo drives,i dont know anything about procharged 6.2s.keep us informed,sounds like a great project.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a Barvo 1 on the back now...why waste money on a pro charger when for a few dollars more you can get a big block and be better off in the long run.The BBC will drop right in without any mods. Your accessories should also bolt up leaving you with only exhaust to get. I dont care for superchargers myself because they are tough on a motor. I dont believe not needing to do anything to the fuel system either. Usually when a supercharged motor goes South...it is because it wasnt getting enough fuel...so it runs lean, gets hot and melts stuff down inside the motor...usually leaving you with an expensive trot line weight.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
The drive is the least of your worries . NO such thing as a bolt on and go pro charger !!!!!!!
AMEN!!!

They recommended not changing the fuel system???? You are going to increase the power by approx. 50% and nothing needs to be done with the fuel system? What does the pickup in the fuel tank look like? How big is it? What about the fuel lines? The filter head with it's 1/4" npt fittings. Does it have an anti-siphon valve?
All of these items were installed with the stock 350 hp engine. That's what they are designed to support....not 450 hp. These things may be fine, but more than likely some or all need to be addressed. I can almost guarantee that the pickup in the tank is a plastic pickup tube with a VERY small hole. Then the adapter fitting that screws into the top of the pickup blocks off half of the hole, making it even smaller.
You are going to have a much higher fuel pressure with the Procharger. You are going to need to be able to move enough volume of fuel to supply that amount of increased pressure.
What I'm trying to say is that I have done a lot of Procharger setups and have seen tons of them come in that are in boxes because none of the items I mentioned were addressed. Make sure that you do it once, and do it right. If you can't afford to do it right, then wait until you can afford it. It will cost a little more to do it right, but it will save you a ton of money and heartache in the end.
As mentioned previously, there is NO such thing as a bolt on supercharger kit. If they told you up front about everything else that needed to be done, they would sell a whole lot less kits.
Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I would be glad to help you out the best I can with advice, etc. Find someone that you are comfortable with. Do some research on that person to be sure he does good work. Good luck.
Eddie
Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
The drive is the least of your worries . NO such thing as a bolt on and go pro charger !!!!!!!
+1 i did a 383 and that was in a vett wot a PITA and there tec support sucks .runs great now but no thanks to procharger .
Old 02-07-2012, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

here's some info when I had one...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...6-2-today.html
Old 02-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With 450 hp, the B1 will work fine. For that power, it'll be better than an xr. Consider what others have said. When you are done with everythng, you could have installed a refreshed 502MPI with a Bob cam for the same money. Think about it.

Eddie

Sent you a PM the other day, have you had time to take a look see?

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 02-07-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Registered

Yea I don't mind spending the money to do it right I am stationed in a bum area and I would rather paddle my boat then take it one of these local shops haha. I am on my third inducted car so I know superchargers fairly well.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If you boat in salt water you need to determine the metallurgy of the intercooler. If it is aluminum like the old prochargers the intercooler will only last a year and they were $1200 in 1998!! Maybe not a deal killer but you need to be aware. Also, watch the intake if water leaks into the intake it will make a rusty mess.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

No oil cooler and only 4.5 qt. oil capacity on a 6.2L MPI.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.