Like Tree0Likes

Anyone ever use kirker black diamond paint?

Reply
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 AM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
rchevelle71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boca Raton
My Boats: 1982 Pantera 24sport
Posts: 7,392
Default Anyone ever use kirker black diamond paint?

Not tryin' to be cheap, just thinking of trying something different, maybe a less expensive alternative, kinda an experiment. I wouldnt be painting the whole boat, just redoing the purple on mine in silver.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/blac...ms-c-1254.aspx
rchevelle71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:21 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pasadena, MD
My Boats: It's Not About Being Noticed, It's About Being Remembered
Posts: 3,220
Default

I used it on a couple boats and works well.
f_inscreenname is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 PM
  #3
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
rchevelle71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boca Raton
My Boats: 1982 Pantera 24sport
Posts: 7,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_inscreenname View Post
I used it on a couple boats and works well.

Cool,

I may give it a try, just debating when to dig into sanding the purple, dont wanna get sidetracked, and lay the boat up for too long. Probably gonna wait a few weeks, and see if the new job comes thru, if it does I will be too busy to take on the project, and leave it purple for the summer.
rchevelle71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 PM
  #4
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: westville, NJ
My Boats: 1967 34 Hatteras summer house. 2000 Crownline 248ccr her boat. 79 Pantera 24 Sport.
Posts: 3,895
Default

auto paint stores. i assume you have a gun and compressor. you can still get one part acrylic enamel for around 30 bucks a quart. put hardener in it for 15 more and it is pretty much the same compound as imron. you don't need a gallon. plus you can get the exact color you want. and it flows out to an automotive finish gloss. i bought an acrylic enamel "industrial" paint for my hatteras. tough paint. dried too slow. no gloss to speak of. it is amazing how much beer it takes to paint a 34 sportfish...
dereknkathy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:29 PM
  #5
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member
 
gmhdfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orlando, Fl. USA
Posts: 1,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereknkathy View Post
auto paint stores. i assume you have a gun and compressor. you can still get one part acrylic enamel for around 30 bucks a quart. put hardener in it for 15 more and it is pretty much the same compound as imron. you don't need a gallon. plus you can get the exact color you want. and it flows out to an automotive finish gloss. i bought an acrylic enamel "industrial" paint for my hatteras. tough paint. dried too slow. no gloss to speak of. it is amazing how much beer it takes to paint a 34 sportfish...
Bingo!! I use to use Centari Acrylic Enamel with Performance pack additive (hardner) when I painted black cars and I thought it looked better than basecoat/clear coat....it didn't look so milkey when you scuffed & buffed it. Kirker & BC (we used to call "Before Chemicals") was what Earl Scheib would use for thier $99 specials. If you don't use hardner you will have a hard time repainting anything. But i don't know why you would want to skimp on a small amount for YOUR boat....
__________________
Pete
gmhdfan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:34 PM
  #6
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member
 
gmhdfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orlando, Fl. USA
Posts: 1,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
Not tryin' to be cheap, just thinking of trying something different, maybe a less expensive alternative, kinda an experiment. I wouldnt be painting the whole boat, just redoing the purple on mine in silver.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/blac...ms-c-1254.aspx
And Silver in Fla. Imron seemed to hold its color (if you call silver a color) the best....silver is mostly silver metalic and clear....
__________________
Pete
gmhdfan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:49 PM
  #7
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
northernoffshore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ft. myers, fl.
My Boats: 33 powerplay 20 mako , 30 spectre ,22 velocity,
Posts: 2,384
Default

I order it from PIVCO. for inexpensive stuff . I painted trs drives with it and it held up well.
northernoffshore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:48 AM
  #8
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
rchevelle71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boca Raton
My Boats: 1982 Pantera 24sport
Posts: 7,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdfan View Post
Bingo!! I use to use Centari Acrylic Enamel with Performance pack additive (hardner) when I painted black cars and I thought it looked better than basecoat/clear coat....it didn't look so milkey when you scuffed & buffed it. Kirker & BC (we used to call "Before Chemicals") was what Earl Scheib would use for thier $99 specials. If you don't use hardner you will have a hard time repainting anything. But i don't know why you would want to skimp on a small amount for YOUR boat....
I hear ya, but I am a BC/CC guy, some of those oldshool rubbed out paintjobs look great, but I am lazy, clear it and go

I usually use matrix systems(PPG knockoff), but may try something different just for kicks.
rchevelle71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:48 AM
  #9
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
rchevelle71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boca Raton
My Boats: 1982 Pantera 24sport
Posts: 7,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernoffshore View Post
I order it from PIVCO. for inexpensive stuff . I painted trs drives with it and it held up well.
I'll look into Pivco.
rchevelle71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 AM
  #10
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member
 
gmhdfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orlando, Fl. USA
Posts: 1,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
I hear ya, but I am a BC/CC guy, some of those oldshool rubbed out paintjobs look great, but I am lazy, clear it and go

I usually use matrix systems(PPG knockoff), but may try something different just for kicks.
Single stage is easier than bc/cc.....You only have to clean one gun....I buff & scuff everything just to make it look like glass......but a boat is wavey already so I wouldn't worry about if you can put it on wet enough to flow out without too much orange peel.
__________________
Pete
gmhdfan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.