Best Anchor in Lake Michigan, Box Anchor or Fortress for 34ft boat >

Best Anchor in Lake Michigan, Box Anchor or Fortress for 34ft boat

Notices

Best Anchor in Lake Michigan, Box Anchor or Fortress for 34ft boat

Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Anchor in Lake Michigan, Box Anchor or Fortress for 34ft boat

I just got a 34 ft Powerquest Vyper, and am torn on what anchor to buy. I will do almost all of my boating on Lake Michigan, anchoring in The Playpen and by Indiana beaches. Will the box anchor be good enough in the lake waters for a 11k lb boat?? Thanks for the help!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use an aluminum fortress. Never had a problem

Mark
Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost anything will hold a boat in calm conditions, no current, etc. If you never intend to leave the boat unattended at anchor, then you don't need to go with as nearly as heavy ground tackle than if you do.

As with any anchor, having at least a bit of chain rhode (10'-15' is probably good for most powerboats) will dramatically improve its holding power.

Go to West Marine or Boat US or equivalent site, and you can look at the recommendations for your size boat. Scale it back based on the factors of no superstructure, calm conditions, not left unattended, etc.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Registered

call and talk to ryan at slide anchor he is the owner there in lake havasu arizona he is a pretty fair guy
Rob
Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Danforth with a chain. Light, easy to store and holds like crazy in the sand. Always let out plenty of line. Thats what works for us in Lake Erie.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Aluminum Fortress with 10 foot of chain will set so hard that you will have a fun time pulling it up if you are anchored in small wave conditions.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Registered

Because every single pound of weight that is added to a boat will contribute towards decreased performance and increased fuel consumption, any place that weight can be saved is worthwhile.

I bought a Fortress and glad that I did. The holding power of a Fortress anchor is legendary and the final, and to me almost the best, positive is that the Fortress is made in the USA.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Registered

I have a Fortress and a Box. The Box wins hands down and when its not being used it folds up and stores in a bag. The Fortress is in my garage and I sell it cheap but I would just buy the Box and be done.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 03 SONIC
I have a Fortress and a Box. The Box wins hands down and when its not being used it folds up and stores in a bag. The Fortress is in my garage and I sell it cheap but I would just buy the Box and be done.
This is the response I was hoping to get! I just bought a Polished SS Large Box, hope it works fine in Lake Michigan. Do the guys who use the Box use any Chain??
Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Registered

Also what kind of anchor off of the stern do you reccomend? What line works best for you guys and how do you store the line? Thanks for all of the responses!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.