Small block & lifters >

Small block & lifters

Notices

Small block & lifters

Old 02-22-2012, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small block & lifters

Now that I'm collecting parts, just wondering if the factory roller lifters are doing ok with aftermarket springs in the marine invironment. I have a chance for both 1 peice rear main blocks, roller 4bolt with fuel pump, or 4bolt with no roller with fuel pump.
I'm starting from scratch, so I have to get cam set etc.
I've done a search but couldn't find any info, hopefully this will help someone else also.
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the factory roller lifters are good as long as you dont install a cam with tons of lift,most n/a builds with off the shelf camshaft work fine with the stock roller lifters.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Take advantage of newer technology

Raylar uses factory stock GM roller lifters for most of our engines where the camshafts have moderate size base circles that don't require special tall lifters. If you will be using special camshafts that have lifts over .650 or require very high spring rates over 200lbs+ on the seat and open pressures of 450lbs+ then you will need special hydraulic roller lifters like the Morels, etc. If you plan on using hydraulic roller lifter cams, as I would recommend, for what sounds like your application, follow a knowledgeable camshaft specifier or builders recommendations for springs and pressures and don't go big and heavy just cause' it sounds cool.

You should be able to find a 1 piece rear main 4 bolt main, later model small block with hydraulic roller lifter camshaft for a reasonable cost for your core and that would be the best place to start.
JMO

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Registered

Looking @ the XM 270HR 218/224 @.050 112LSA 495/503with 1.6 roller rockers.
D shape dish pistons with Vortec heads off of a Merc 6.2, the guides already cut.
I do have a neighbor that works for a Chevy dealer that could get a new block but would rather have a seasoned one I think.
Thanks for the replies!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

That camshaft won't have nay problems with stock hydralic roller lifters with nice recommended valve spring package.
Try and find a nice inexpensive seasoned later 86 and newer hydraulic roller lifter 4 blolt block, there are a ton of them out there!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Registered

Thanks Mike & Ray, I'm hoping for 375-400 hp & Tq.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

I would have no problems using the stock GM lifters on that setup. I went with Morels on my setup but the GM's would probably have been fine. The Morel's are a beautiful HD lifter though!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Registered

I have Morels in my BB Chevelle, X2 on the nice pieces!