496 Exhaust Change - From Dana to CMI >

496 Exhaust Change - From Dana to CMI

Notices

496 Exhaust Change - From Dana to CMI

Old 03-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja_man
How do the push lock work? I would love to re-locate the oil filter but had an issue with trying to the first time.

Yes, I have the rubber distribution rail type....one tube one each side feeds each tube.

I had two seperate issues I was refering to...the oil filter was the first

the second was the coils.......I bought the coil re-locate kit from Ray.....they mount below the headers...or suppose to but mine hit the distribution tubes so I had to put them back to the valve covers.

Let me know how and what material you use to move the oil filter and what base....it is my next project.
here: http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...73391/10002/-1
Old 03-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
Your coil location kit might need some hack work to make you happy. I'm talking figuratively of course. I know the race boat had headers and it had the relocation kit. It can be done. But how much work and customization??? I don't know the answer to that. I'll ask next time I see Ray or Larry.
I bought the kit from him....it is an angled bracket with four square holes to fit each coil...it bolts on with the head bolts but the coils hit the distribution tube.....going to try and cut the bracket to make a "U" rather than a hole and just lower the coil...but I think on the port side it will hit the oil cooler....it's been so long since I looked at it.

I bought my fittings and hose from Jegs but lots of places have it. They also make the really nice silver and black colored fittings too in case the red and blue do not match your boat. Mine are all black and you can't see them in the pics.
If you could take a close up picture of them it would be appreciated.

On a side note, How has your performance been? What prop and RPMs do you use?

Mine dyno'd at 660 HP @ 5400 RPM and still making power, I would like to get a prop to spin to 5500 but haven't had much time to test yet.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Registered

I bought the kit from him....it is an angled bracket with four square holes to fit each coil...it bolts on with the head bolts but the coils hit the distribution tube.....going to try and cut the bracket to make a "U" rather than a hole and just lower the coil...but I think on the port side it will hit the oil cooler....it's been so long since I looked at it.

If you could take a close up picture of them it would be appreciated.

On a side note, How has your performance been? What prop and RPMs do you use?

Mine dyno'd at 660 HP @ 5400 RPM and still making power, I would like to get a prop to spin to 5500 but haven't had much time to test yet.
660!! What the h3ll? How'd you do that? I'm working a prop right now trying to get to 5400. We did a bigger cam this time so hopefully it moved the curve up high enough for me to turn a labbed 30.

I wanted to dyno this time but the guy did not have it up and running. I got impatient and put it in the boat. Hate having chit apart for weeks on end..

If you check out those links, the pictures are really good; better than what i could send you.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Registered

We did a bigger cam this time so hopefully it moved the curve up high enough for me to turn a labbed 30.
You put in a bigger cam than Ray already gives you?

I have only tryied a 28P B1...could only get ~4950 RPMs from it unlabbed.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Registered

You put in a bigger cam than Ray already gives you?

I have only tryied a 28P B1...could only get ~4950 RPMs from it unlabbed.

that's a real nice sheet of paper you got. I'm running a bone stock 28 up to 5300 right now. I won't know what the 30 will be like until i get it back.

having to start all over with prop. I did see almost a full 2mph out of that cam with same prop.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Registered

If your at 5300 with a stock 28....you should be able to get a labbed 30 to 5200-5300.....5400 might be a stretch....but good luck.

I wish I could get a stock 28P to 5300...it seems like I should but can't...I've been debate dropping to a labbed 26P to get the RPMs up to 5500.....we will see.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

SD - What cam did you get? Now you have me wanting to swap!

A dyno is a funny animal. You can do almost anything with different correction factors and the difference between them is significant. I did mine on a new superflow and as cool as it looks on youtube - it sucks in real life... its stressful.

Mine dynoed at 647 (port) and 654 (starboard) we ran a few other pulls and if the rev limiter didnt kick in (6600) we might have seen like 670 or something... it just kept making power. The heads were ported so I think that is why the top end kept pulling more HP. My sweet spot was over 5300 for sure.

As for the AN lines and fittings. Everything is 1/2 NPT/#10 on mine. You could very easily buy a oil filter relocation bracket (NAPA) and bolt it to the transom. The only fitting that is troublesome is the one that screws into the oil filter relo cap on the block where a normal filter screws on. It is some funky thread type. It is not AN or standard. It may be hydraulic but no steering fittings fit either. To keep my system all AN I drilled the threads out on a drill press and re-tapped it with a flat bottom tap for 1/2 NPT and screwed a #10/1/2NPT in like everything else.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
SD - What cam did you get? Now you have me wanting to swap!

A dyno is a funny animal. You can do almost anything with different correction factors and the difference between them is significant. I did mine on a new superflow and as cool as it looks on youtube - it sucks in real life... its stressful.

Mine dynoed at 647 (port) and 654 (starboard) we ran a few other pulls and if the rev limiter didnt kick in (6600) we might have seen like 670 or something... it just kept making power. The heads were ported so I think that is why the top end kept pulling more HP. My sweet spot was over 5300 for sure.

As for the AN lines and fittings. Everything is 1/2 NPT/#10 on mine. You could very easily buy a oil filter relocation bracket (NAPA) and bolt it to the transom. The only fitting that is troublesome is the one that screws into the oil filter relo cap on the block where a normal filter screws on. It is some funky thread type. It is not AN or standard. It may be hydraulic but no steering fittings fit either. To keep my system all AN I drilled the threads out on a drill press and re-tapped it with a flat bottom tap for 1/2 NPT and screwed a #10/1/2NPT in like everything else.
The cam is the new one for the 675. I have all the numbers but it's probably not a good idea to post that. Ray would have to share it. I still won't be @ 675 if only because that engine still has a few more cubes than I do. Their 675 is the upgrade path for stock 525 owners.

I have not messed with that one fitting you guys are talking about. Sure I would have found the same issue but like Keith said there's always a way to cope.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

The cam is the new one for the 675. I have all the numbers but it's probably not a good idea to post that. Ray would have to share it. I still won't be @ 675 if only because that engine still has a few more cubes than I do. Their 675 is the upgrade path for stock 525 owners.

I have not messed with that one fitting you guys are talking about. Sure I would have found the same issue but like Keith said there's always a way to cope.
Oooh! Sounds nasty. I want two of them...

The 600 grind is already pretty gnarly so that 675 must be a funky SOB.

How does it sound?
Where does water enter in that CMI? (crazy cam/reversion?)
Old 03-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Where does water enter in that CMI? (crazy cam/reversion?)
It looks like his are dry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.