Electrolosis question (s) >

Electrolosis question (s)

Notices

Electrolosis question (s)

Old 03-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electrolosis question (s)

I have a Skater with Skater tabs, Imco gimbals and drives after 48 hours in salt water with the batteries over for 44 of the hours I am finding small growth. So far I have no damage but it appears I will need to come up with anodes for the tabs and drives. The gimbals have a small anode. I do not believe there is an electrical current problem at my dock.
My engine's are 525's and have mercathode. Is installing that on the Imco gimbal an option?
Thanks
Steve
Old 03-10-2012, 05:48 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean growth? Algae growth? Electrolosis has nothing to do with algae growth. You'll need some anti fouling paint to slow that down and slow down only, unless you can block out the sun. If there is an issue with elec. at your dock, I believe there are sacrificial anodes that you can use that are temperarily hung in the water and clipped onto your boat, unless you plan on leaving the boat in the water for longer periods of time?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Registered

sounds normal to me...
Old 03-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
I have a Skater with Skater tabs, Imco gimbals and drives after 48 hours in salt water with the batteries over for 44 of the hours I am finding small growth. So far I have no damage but it appears I will need to come up with anodes for the tabs and drives. The gimbals have a small anode. I do not believe there is an electrical current problem at my dock.
My engine's are 525's and have mercathode. Is installing that on the Imco gimbal an option?
Thanks
Steve
The simple fact that you have dissimilar metals near each other is causing a galvanic couple. Stainless steels are more nobel than aluminum and it will pull ions from the aluminum causing corrosion. You need to make sure you get a less nobel than the nearby aluminum. You can use zinc or magnesium. These will become sacrificial giving up ions to the stainless and leave the aluminum alone You need to have the zinc/magnesium in intimate contact with the aluminum. Also make sure that each of the bonding wires/cables are interconnected on each of the pieces of aluminum for each tab and drive component. Essentially with dissimilar metals and an electrolyte (water, fresh or salt) you make a battery and get current flow causing one metal to break down
Old 03-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Growth as in salt or hard water deposits? Does sno-bol take the build up off?

If it is just on the stainless I would be thinking stray current.
RB
Old 03-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Registered

I will take pictures today.
Thanks!
Steve
Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Registered

Default OOOPs

It appears I cannot post pictures?