Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
575sci rear oil draining....Great idea or Stupid idea ?? >

575sci rear oil draining....Great idea or Stupid idea ??

Notices

575sci rear oil draining....Great idea or Stupid idea ??

Old 03-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 575sci rear oil draining....Great idea or Stupid idea ??

Much like many here on OSO I am fanatical about oil changes and maintenance. I run twin 575sci's in my Sonic. Over the past years of owning this boat I change my blower oil every 25 hrs. Those who own the 575 with the oil bath rear bearing, know it is a pain in the a*s......especially when your a bigger guy like myself. A few years ago I tapped a drain plug very low in the rear cap, this has worked well except for being messy when draining old oil........ Now I have an idea....

Option 1...... I purchased quick release hydraulic fittings, the male end (pic 1) will be permanently attatched to drain hole with a short nipple......the female end(pic 2) will be on a whip hose connected to my evacuation pump.......when it is time to drain the blower oil it is as simple as connecting the quick release fitting and a few pumps of the vac pump......

The question is would you guys trust the fitting in the back of the blower all the time ?

Option 2..... I am thinking of just making up a 12" whip hose with a cap/plug on the end, then permanently placing it in the drain of the blower. I would zip tie the hose in place so it wouldn't turn or get caught anywhere. When it is time to drain oil i would just pull out the hose (cut zip ties) and connect it to the hose coming from my vac pump (no quick release fittings just plugs).

Same question, would you trust the hose (heavy duty compressed hydraulic line) as a plug and to not cause a problem..........

PIC 1...

PIC 2

Last edited by Here's Johnny; 03-12-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Registered

More pics of setup.....

Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i like option #1, i did the same thing for draining the oil on a jetboat i had years ago,worked great.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Registered

Should be no problem either way. Those hydraulic fittings are rated for a couple of thousand psi, way overkill.

Nice solution by the way.

Dan
Old 03-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I would go with option 2 with a short length of hose. It works on just about every Merc engine for changing oil, so you should have no problem. That offers 2 things. You can move the hose to where you want it when draining. You can also raise it up a little so there is absolutely no chance of oil coming out, even it the plug came out.
Great idea. Should work great.
Eddie
Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Registered

what kind of oil pump out pump is that ?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Registered

Glad I'm not getting ripped apart for the idea guys........thanks to everyone for the opinions and tips.....
Old 03-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TooTall
what kind of oil pump out pump is that ?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Works Great.......stick it right on the dipstick tube, pump it a few times and she pulls the oil right out.......works best when oil is warm but still works great when it's cold......
Old 03-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by here's johnny
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/b00...=atvpdkikx0der

works great.......stick it right on the dipstick tube, pump it a few times and she pulls the oil right out.......works best when oil is warm but still works great when it's cold......
+1
Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Works Great.......stick it right on the dipstick tube, pump it a few times and she pulls the oil right out.......works best when oil is warm but still works great when it's cold......
I have 2 of them ... they work great!

For ~ $20 extra you can buy the power brake bleeder kit so you can bleed your brakes (or pull new clean fluid through the brake lines/brake cylinders/calipers) quickly and easily by yourself. I use one for brakes and the other for oil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.