Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Motors out......overhaul it..or...not? >

Motors out......overhaul it..or...not?

Notices

Motors out......overhaul it..or...not?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motors out......overhaul it..or...not?

Ok my 2001 350ci Carb motors hanging from a cherry picker in the garage. It ran great but needs a new flywheel, starter and coupler.
I plan to just strip rust and paint and repaint it along with replacing easy to get to gaskets/intake/exhaust etc. while its out.

Now that its out, I thought of doing a bearing / ring / oil pump / gasket overhaul on it... Not sure the hours on the motor but runs strong 60+ in Baja Hammer.

Since the starter and flywheel were bad, how can I tell the compression of the motor to see if theres a reason to tear it down for an overhaul? Maybe I should get it back going and then slowly collect parts to do a total rebuild in the future.....? what to do......
Old 04-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Put it back together the way it is. If you want more power wait until next winter to give yourself plenty of time to doit right. Been there and done that, there is always some little pain in the ass thing that keeps the entire build from moving forward and keeping you off the water
Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya I think I have to agree there...my luck has it that it would take twice as long with all the little hickups u would run into.....
Old 04-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i agree,if it was running good,do the things you mentioned,put the engine back in,and go boating.