Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Black on transom (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/275563-black-transom.html)

soldier4402 05-01-2012 07:34 AM

Black on transom

Anybody have a trick to keep black off the transom and under the swim deck. I have applied wax multiple times, and even wiping down after words doesnt get it all off. Looking for something that keeps it off all together.

sleev-les 05-01-2012 08:07 AM

Im going to try the On Off cleaner that was recommended to me.. Heard its a pretty harsh cleaner though so dont use it on painted surfaces.

BenPerfected 05-01-2012 08:23 AM

We have used duPont Prepsol for years. It is used as a final wipe for auto finishes. It removes all the soot and will it will not damage the paint or clear coat. You can find it at most commercial auto paint stores.

soldier4402 05-01-2012 08:29 AM

I got stuff to get it off. Just wondering if theres something out there that keeps it off to start with

stevesxm 05-01-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by soldier4402 (Post 3676478)
I got stuff to get it off. Just wondering if theres something out there that keeps it off to start with

any chance of fixing the rich idle so it doesn't do it ?

the deep 05-01-2012 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by stevesxm (Post 3676481)

+1 Clean flame arresters ?? Air idle adjustments ??

soldier4402 05-01-2012 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by stevesxm (Post 3676481)

I could try those we arent talking anything crazy here, The black is what I have seen just about on any boat.

stevesxm 05-01-2012 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by soldier4402 (Post 3676555)
I could try those we arent talking anything crazy here, The black is what I have seen just about on any boat.

not mine... and mostly carbed ones with exactly this sort of issue.

if yours is injected, make sure the thermostat is working properly and the water is getting to temp. if its carbed, make the idle misture correct and your problem will cease to exist to the most part. i know that is a broad brush suggestion... maybe your combination requires some crazy fuel curve that causes this but sending unburned fuel out the back isn't doing the internals of that motor any good at all.

averagejoe074 05-01-2012 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by stevesxm (Post 3676565)
not mine... and mostly carbed ones with exactly this sort of issue.

if yours is injected, make sure the thermostat is working properly and the water is getting to temp. if its carbed, make the idle misture correct and your problem will cease to exist to the most part. i know that is a broad brush suggestion... maybe your combination requires some crazy fuel curve that causes this but sending unburned fuel out the back isn't doing the internals of that motor any good at all.

x's 2...no carbon build up on my transom ever...something's not right with how your engine is running...

Raylar 05-01-2012 11:08 AM

Tell us a little about your engine and what fuel brand and octane you are using and how your exhaust is configured. Maybe we can help with some explanations and ideas.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar