Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B.o.a.t.

B - Bend
O - Over
A - And
T - Take it!

The one thing I see in this conversation that is always missing is the mere fact that no one seems to think their time is worth anything. But it's far from free unless you are unemployed or in a situation where you really don't have to care.

I dunno -
Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drpete3
So what about a 01 top gun that someone could get say for 125k. if youplan to own it for four years is a guy going to b better off buying an 06 for 200k? could the overall cost of cost at the time of the sale be about the same? I bet it could be close
This is a great question. You can assume that if you buy the 2000, you'll be going through the motors and drives. Depending what you do there, and any other upgrades/repairs, I would plan on spending another $20-40k before it hits the water. But the key here is you are in the water for say $160k, and you know what you've got. If you've done things right, and got a hull without issues, you might run for 4-5 years before having to do much besides routine maintenance.

Buy the 2006, and most people will try to just run it. You won't know what you've got unless you do basically the same as above, and won't have peace of mind of knowing everything is fresh. Odds are something will let go within a few years unless it was redone prior to the sale.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts
Default Absolutely true.

Originally Posted by SDFever
B - Bend
O - Over
A - And
T - Take it!

The one thing I see in this conversation that is always missing is the mere fact that no one seems to think their time is worth anything. But it's far from free unless you are unemployed or in a situation where you really don't have to care.

I dunno -
BTW, B= break, O=out, A= another, T= thousand. May have already been posted.

The labor value is part of the rub for me.
My wife and I have been off since Tuesday night and were thinking of dragging the boat to the Keys. Instead, I've been working on it and the trailer, non stop since then.
If I had a new (er) boat/trailer we'd be on our 2nd morning in the Keys.
Course then I'd have a monthly payment + payments to my local shop for maintaining it for me. Neither of which do I have now.
I am just coming off a 2 yr restoration and the building of two motors from parts out of my scrap box too though. Once I get through there then it will become routine preventive maintenance.

One of the other missing keys I'm seeing here (unless I missed it) is the pre-purchase inspection. A lower value, smaller boat w/a single, weaker motor is way easier to guess on but when you go up in size/power I'd spend the jing for a true expert to pull both drives for inspection, compression + leak down on both motors, moisture check stringers/transom, wiring, trailer etc.
Not to beat up buyer but to assure existing condition Vs asking price. Also, if it's what you really want and your expert discovers
issues, is the boat worth you shelling out the extra $$ to make it right???

Most of my my hi perf boating friends are picky bastards like me and I don't think any of them have been satisfied w/what they bought used.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 AM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts
Default Very ture.

Originally Posted by DYVMASTER
Ithere is one important thing nobody in this thread has mentined..and thats the pride when youre sitting on the sunpad with a cold beer looking at where she is now from where she started and knowing it was you that breathed life back into her..especially when someone asks you 'WHAT YEAR IS THAT AGAIN' and you start to point out all the blood sweat tears and upgrades you have done over the years! That to me is better than writing a check for a brand new boat!
I used to carry a small photo album showing before and after. Back in the 3' x 5" days. Planning on doing it again for the Sonic.
Not every one appreciates it but it is big fun when you cross paths w/a like minded individual down on the docks.

Another point on cost to consider. If doing a restoration what do you compare your total investment to? A used version of a similar model assumed to be in perfect condition even though we all know that hardly ever is the case?
Or do we look at new? W/a proper restoration you are way closer to new than clean used when you're done. That's what I try to focus on. I know in my case, EVERYTHING in the hull is new. Motors and lower units are completely rebuilt and painted.
That is way beyond clean used value.
I figure I have some where between $25K - $40K in my restoration (not counting labor!) even though it would only fetch maybe $20 - $25K used. For that same money I could buy something very clean in similar size/style but know I'd end up dumping a bunch in it 1st few yrs of ownership.
Or new in which case for what I have, I'd be in for over $100K which I can not afford at this time.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

B.O.A.T.

If your from Australia it's

B. Break
O. Out
A. Another
T. Tenthousand

Basically take your prices in the US and double them by the time you get whatever you need here and pay the taxes and duties.

But like it has been said, boating, be it working on them, or using them, it is in your blood.

Becareful recording your costs to accurately or the Mrs will have words to say and it will cost you even more to keep things even in the family circle.
I know from years of experiance!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tcelano
This is a great question. You can assume that if you buy the 2000, you'll be going through the motors and drives. Depending what you do there, and any other upgrades/repairs, I would plan on spending another $20-40k before it hits the water. But the key here is you are in the water for say $160k, and you know what you've got. If you've done things right, and got a hull without issues, you might run for 4-5 years before having to do much besides routine maintenance.

Buy the 2006, and most people will try to just run it. You won't know what you've got unless you do basically the same as above, and won't have peace of mind of knowing everything is fresh. Odds are something will let go within a few years unless it was redone prior to the sale.
depending on previous owner Im not so sure your going to see that much difference in use over 5 years. You can really assume the 06 wont need the same things. But like you said even if you have to go through the 01 its still considerably cheaper. Just because its ten years old doesnt mean anything has to be rebuilt if the engines and drives were taken care of and you dont have some crazy set up in it, people go hundreds up to a thousand hours without rebuilding something.

One thing with boats is there is not a whole lot of difference in them even say between a 1990 and a 2006, a bravo drive is a bravo drive, and if they arent stepped the hulls are the same. yeah you can get into different paint schemes and fancier dash layouts. But a boat today and 20 years ago the bones are not all that different.

Problem with used is just that, you never know whats going on with them tell you get it, and ultimately will probably take you a season or two to get the boat dialed into your needs and get to a baseline as far as maintenence.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
depending on previous owner Im not so sure your going to see that much difference in use over 5 years. You can really assume the 06 wont need the same things. But like you said even if you have to go through the 01 its still considerably cheaper. Just because its ten years old doesnt mean anything has to be rebuilt if the engines and drives were taken care of and you dont have some crazy set up in it, people go hundreds up to a thousand hours without rebuilding something.

One thing with boats is there is not a whole lot of difference in them even say between a 1990 and a 2006, a bravo drive is a bravo drive, and if they arent stepped the hulls are the same. yeah you can get into different paint schemes and fancier dash layouts. But a boat today and 20 years ago the bones are not all that different.

Problem with used is just that, you never know whats going on with them tell you get it, and ultimately will probably take you a season or two to get the boat dialed into your needs and get to a baseline as far as maintenence.
As an investment, this is the difference between being completely stupid and being an idiot.
It's boating!...buy the one that you want or better yet buy the one your wife wants.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
As an investment, this is the difference between being completely stupid and being an idiot.
It's boating!...buy the one that you want or better yet buy the one your wife wants.
I agree but I dont know about you, 40k is a big deal to me. But yeah I would buy the better boat that was within my budget. And yes you cant get into boating or stay in boating without cash. But the assumption that you have to be rich to be in boating isnt true, if you take care of your stuff, budget, do work on your own youll be fine. The statement of just buy anything regardless of cost and if you arent rich you shouldnt get into boating is rediculous. And I have a 91 and you have an 87 so having tons of money isnt in order for either of us, and if you look throughout this site I would say the average age of any given boat is a 92-98

But overall assuming same condition and nothing has to be done to either boat the 01 is by far the better cost effective boat to get into.

Last edited by soldier4402; 05-10-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcelano

but then consider resale in this equation also. The 01 your at 160k and still at 200k for the 06. Will you sell the 06 for 40k more than the 01?

I bought a 98 OL last year and redoing the motors and drives, 100%, this year. Could i have taken that $ and bought a newer boat and been better off.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SDFever
B - Bend
O - Over
A - And
T - Take it!

I dunno -
You are correct about time being worth something but I,and probably a lot of guys on here, consider it a hobby. I enjoy working on mine and seeing the end result. Instead of golfing or building model cars or bicycling, I work on my boat for enjoyment.