Best Hull Cleaner and protection for boat left in the water >

Best Hull Cleaner and protection for boat left in the water

Notices

Best Hull Cleaner and protection for boat left in the water

Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Hull Cleaner and protection for boat left in the water

Tried searching, and couldnt really find what you guys think is the best cleaner and protectant for a boat left in Lake Michigan. How often and what do you use to clean the bottom of the boat to stop scum from building up? Also, is there a protectant to maybe wax the bottom of the boat with to help prevent build up on the bottom? Lastly, is it easier to pull up to trhe beach and try to scrub the bottom or pull it up on the trailer and use a power washer with a cleaner. Thanks for all of your input!!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

If you're talking some kind of sealer or wax, there simply isn't anything out there that will prevent marine growth over a whole season. (And I work at a marina.) The only real way to go here is bottom paint - and then you end up with a whole new set of problems.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Registered

if you boat in dirty water, and ge the TEA colored stain in the gell, after you washt eh boat, you can use IRON OUT and it will wipe the rust colored tea stain right off.

seen people sand it out casue they could not get it off, but ironout one wipe and its gone.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

A scuba tank and a Rubbermaid scrub brush will keep it looking new and retain max speed and fuel gph . Bottom paint = drag .
Old 05-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just clean and wax everything good at the begning of the year.

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...protectant.cfm

Been using this stuff on boats for years works great. Its quick and easy and really dont have to wash before hand. I usually wax once a year than use this stuff a couple times during the year.

NIce thing is you can pretty much put it on everything vinyl, rubber,etc, it also doesnt leave streaks or chalky residue. Now its not the best cleaner but does well, and wouldnt use it as my only wax and would want to have a nice base on it.

Last edited by soldier4402; 05-08-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a couple coats of the Collonite 885 paste wax works better than most.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Power one by Fountain of Youth Products is hands down the best hull cleaner out there!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Registered

I've heard good things about Power 1, and bottom paint isnt an option. I know some people pull the boat out a few times a year and use some kind of acid, any opinions on that? Also has anyone had any experience using StarBrite???
Old 05-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered

Leaving an unpainted fiberglass boat sitting in water all season just seems mean and wrong.

Nothing is going to prevent mung build-up and stain over an extended time.
If a boat is going to be left on the water, a lift is the best option.
Expensive investment I know, but worth it for protection of any size vessel not to mention you can almost always recoup half or more of the cost when selling.
If it is moored to piers, that is a tough one. I would look to store somewhere else if you are not going the ugly, expensive bottom paint route.
Zebra mussels are also avoided/minimized with a lift. Taking the boat out every couple weeks to clean the outside will not get the really dangerous ones - growing IN the water intake that can eventually choke cooling - then boom!

Starbrite or any of the other acid based hull cleaners will do the job. Frequent use is not ideal and caustic on the trailer even when efforts are made to protect.
New wax must be applied of course.

Lift, pull out or paint.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drock78
power one by fountain of youth products is hands down the best hull cleaner out there!
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.