Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water above starter. What to look out for now? >

Water above starter. What to look out for now?

Notices

Water above starter. What to look out for now?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water above starter. What to look out for now?

So we took our boat out today, and the freeze plug that was replaced popped off when I went for a high speed run. The boat filled up above the starter, and I barely made it back to land.

I know the starter may be short lived, but there was enough water in the boat that water was flying up the back of the motor (7.4 mpi) from the coupler/ drive. So tomorrow I am going to insist that the drive get pulled and the ujoints/ gimble bearing get looked at. The engine got hot enough to start smoking from the front somewhere.

I'm still not entirely sure that the block is not cracked, but so far it seems that it was just the casting plugs that popped off due to a winterization that did not appear to be complete for one reason or another. The oil btw, still looked fresh and new.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:26 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

u-joints not a problem. gimball bearing? probably not. pull engine and get the freeze plugs put in correctly. i would consider replacing all of them. and new starter while it is easy to get to. that one can be saved, but needs torn down and cleaned out now. the fact that oil and water are staying where they belong is HUGE good sign.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Registered

Had this happen before. starter took a **** on my about 1-2 months later. other then that I was fine.

But mine never got hot, just started spitting from water splassing around and i shut it down and found water, and hit the bildge pump on.

Last edited by mittens; 05-22-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Registered

Do you guys not use automatic sensing, or float type switch bilge pumps??? sounds like a good way to sink a boat if your not using one of those styles...

i have two 1100GPH automatic pumps on mine, they cycle on every 2.5 minutes to check for the presence of water, better safe than sorry..

as for the OP, the starter would be the least of my worries, $100 and get it fully rebuilt. getting the motor hot enough to cause smoke would be my concern?? maybe you got lucky and it was steam or smoke from the belts getting wet??? for sure get the drive off and get everything greased back up. Are you in salt water?? if so wash down the entire engine comaprtment real good.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

either replace the starter or remove and take all apart, clean and spray with wd40 or something....going to be full of rust soon !
Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Registered

Starter will probably start going bad sometime over the season.

Was it smoke or steam?
With the engine heat, might keep an eye on the exhaust manifold and riser gaskets leaking.
I overheated my 454 and it started leaking outside (better than leaking into the exhaust and hydrolocking)
Bad part was, when I took them off to replace the gasket I saw how corroded the water passages were and how little metal was left. Spent more $$$ replacing the exh manifold and riser.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Registered

My auto switchon my bildge was the problem... and thats how i found out the auto part did not work..

guess what i replaced after that incadent as well???.. haha and have tested on my new boat as well.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Salt water or fresh? I submarined a 17 foot V-hull jetboat in fresh water that looked alot like a sea ray runabout and took on so much water the engine was under water to the top of the valve covers (pontiac 455), we drove around keeping the motor running and bailing/lettiingn the bilge pump run, sprayed everything down with lots of wd 40 and never had a problem, including the starter (was a miniature gear drive aftermarket) so its not the end of the world, Smitty
Old 05-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Registered

It was smoke.
I am going to have the engine pulled in a couple weeks at a "real" mercruiser place (where I should have had the boat winterized to begin with) to inspect the freeze plugs behind the flywheel and starter. The starter will have to be replaced, I am pretty sure of that.
So freakin pissed off at the (what used to be friendly) mom and pop marine place. Shoulda known better. They are just trying to plug leaks, and I want the whole damn thing inspected. Live and learn. If the inspection cost me a grand and their insurance does not pay, I have learned a lesson. If the inspection shows I need a new motor, then someone (in the end) other than me is paying.

Took the boat out today, and still getting a couple of little leaks, the one that concerns me most is the plug area behind the starter Once in a while get a little steam and drip from there.. Also, no way to know how the plugs are looking behind the flywheel. Ran the snot out of it for an hour. The manifold to riser is leaking, if Mom and pop does not replace that, I will myself. The oil is great so far.

Last edited by Fast Algae; 05-22-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Algae
It was smoke.
I am going to have the engine pulled in a couple weeks at a "real" mercruiser place (where I should have had the boat winterized to begin with) to inspect the freeze plugs behind the flywheel and starter. The starter will have to be replaced, I am pretty sure of that.
So freakin pissed off at the (what used to be friendly) mom and pop marine place. Shoulda known better. They are just trying to plug leaks, and I want the whole damn thing inspected. Live and learn. If the inspection cost me a grand and their insurance does not pay, I have learned a lesson. If the inspection shows I need a new motor, then someone (in the end) other than me is paying.

Took the boat out today, and still getting a couple of little leaks, the one that concerns me most is the plug area behind the starter Once in a while get a little steam and drip from there.. Also, no way to know how the plugs are looking behind the flywheel. Ran the snot out of it for an hour. The manifold to riser is leaking, if Mom and pop does not replace that, I will myself. The oil is great so far.
Oh, you have much more serious problems than I thought, defiantely needs to come out, new plugs everywhere and then pressure tested! This happened because of a shops negiligence, make them take care of it IF you can, Smitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.