Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Drive Anti Fouling Paint - Any Favorites? >

Drive Anti Fouling Paint - Any Favorites?

Notices

Drive Anti Fouling Paint - Any Favorites?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Anti Fouling Paint - Any Favorites?

I have 3 very nice factory painted drives and I hate the thought of having to paint them, but I keep my boat in salt water and can not haul it to clean it more than once a year.

I was going to use the Trilux 33 Aerosol Spray paint and primer, but I have not seen 1 good review on this product.
All the reviews say it does not work...

Does anyone have a good product for drives?
My local West Marine guy is telling me not to paint them, my swim platform shades my drives.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shade or not, you will get growth if you leave it in the water. Trilux 33 is your only real option. There are a few minor brands, but none that are effective. You can try the clear Trilux 33. It keeps your drives nice and shiny that way.

There is a product out there called Prop Speed. It is designed for underwater running gear on cruisers and bigger boats. It creates a super slick surface for your prop so that it sheds all growth when running. Kind of expensive, but you may be able to find a similar product for your entire drive. ?

Until then, your only real option is Trilux 33. 1 can per drive. It does work, just not nearly as good as standard bottom paint would. If you take your boat out for a cruise every week or so, it will work fine.

Worse case, you could always try the plastic bag and bleach approach. The tree huggers will flame me for bringing that up... :-)
Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

All of the "good" outdrive paints have been outlawed and are not available anymore.

MC