Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Yes another 496 soot question...  But Please Help Anyway.. >

Yes another 496 soot question... But Please Help Anyway..

Notices

Yes another 496 soot question... But Please Help Anyway..

Old 06-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the intake pulled off. I ordered two different gasket kits as there were multiple GM bulletins and each had a different intake gasket part number. The one I received today is NOT the right one, so hopefully the one due to be delivered tomorrw is the correct one.

The runners in the intake were coated with oil as were the intake ports on the heads. The Intake gaskets were wet with oil at the bottom of each runner. It definately looks like the gaskets are the root of my problem. Surprisingy after our run to Cedar Point and Back (see above post) the oil level really shows no real loss of oil.... It probably doesn't take much oil, once mixed with gas to create such a freaking mess.... I included a pic of the motor less the intake, not relaly much to look at but here is what a 496 looks like less the intake....

Old 06-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully that takes care of it for you.

That is a huge mess! It would drive me nuts dealing with that every time I went out
Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
That is a huge mess! It would drive me nuts dealing with that every time I went out
Oh yeah it is a mess. Everytime we go somewhere to swim, I have to jump in first with a scrub brush and cleaner to get most of off as it gets tracked onto the swim platform and then onto the vinyl as soon as the first person gets on the ladder. Even after I clean it, it still gets everywhere and it is so hard to clean.

That mess (from the Cedar Point Trip) took me about an hour to clean, and over a quart of roll-off cleaner.....

The boat runs very strong now. I wonder what type of performance gain I will see once I stop burning so much oil....... Probably won't see much, but may see an increase in fuel economy (at least I hope). Although it does pretty good on gas as well.

On another note, the 496 Intake is one big, heavy chunk of aluminum. What a beast!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
On another note, the 496 Intake is one big, heavy chunk of aluminum. What a beast!
Need a spare? Or even a spare set of stock 496 Heads?

I've got them cheap!!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink BIG Hunk Is Right !

You want to see why the big hunk of heavy aluminum has a hard time flowing enough air to make over about 450HP, especially with a good flowing cylinder head like our aluminum BigPower head and why we had to make a new intake manifold for our kit with new heads and camshafts?
Check out the attached pictures and note the path the inlet air has to take to get into the crazy chopped up internal plenum and to the runners. Notice what happens at the redline and measuring tape point in the manifold where a nearly 4" throttlebody opening has to dive down 90 degrees and choke down to a 2.25" sqaure opening. This is why we had to make a new intake manifold and we always laugh when people say they can make over 500HP with a stock manifold! HA! Yea no problem? !!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Attached Thumbnails Yes another 496 soot question...  But Please Help Anyway..-stock-496-8.1l-intake-manifold-section-1.jpg   Yes another 496 soot question...  But Please Help Anyway..-stock-496-8.1l-intake-manifold-section-2.jpg  

Last edited by Raylar; 06-06-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
Oh yeah it is a mess. Everytime we go somewhere to swim, I have to jump in first with a scrub brush and cleaner to get most of off as it gets tracked onto the swim platform and then onto the vinyl as soon as the first person gets on the ladder. Even after I clean it, it still gets everywhere and it is so hard to clean.

That mess (from the Cedar Point Trip) took me about an hour to clean, and over a quart of roll-off cleaner.....

The boat runs very strong now. I wonder what type of performance gain I will see once I stop burning so much oil....... Probably won't see much, but may see an increase in fuel economy (at least I hope). Although it does pretty good on gas as well.

What did the back of the boat look like on a normal day before ecm tune?
Old 06-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Registered

Pretty much the same. Maybe a bit more black goo.....
Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Registered

Since the intake is off anyway, would it be worth putting one of Raylar's intake on it?

Last edited by vindicator101; 06-07-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Registered

I recently had my two 496 Mags converted into HOs. Before when they were MAGs, I would get quite a bit of soot on the transom (not as much as yours though). Now, with the Whipple stage 1 tune and new cams, there is virtually NO soot. I stayed with the stage 1 tune since I can't always get 89-90 octane gas, but I try to get 89 even now. I was really surprised to see the reduction in soot though.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Registered

What is being spread all over my transom is NOT soot. It is oil residue (well maybe not a residue so much as a layer...). New spark plugs were oils soaked within minutes. The intake runners are coated in oil. I am honestly surprised, after seeing the intake and intake ports of the heads, that this boat runs as good as it does. I assume once I get the gasket replaced, it will take a few runs to blow all of the left over oil out. I will probably have to clean the transom up a few more times, but each run SHOULD be less and less oil residue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.