Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
502 EFI same fuel injector keep getting "stuck" open?? pics, Baja, DVX >

502 EFI same fuel injector keep getting "stuck" open?? pics, Baja, DVX

Notices

502 EFI same fuel injector keep getting "stuck" open?? pics, Baja, DVX

Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you all for the info. I will try and cancel the injector order and buy a rebuild kit for the vst/fuel pump. Sorry no more pics yet, I didn't get home till late last night. I'll get some up this late afternoon.

Rob
Old 06-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a breakdown of the VST:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...+AND+FUEL+RAIL
Old 06-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Registered

All right guys, I removed the VST and found the diaphragm had 2 small holes in it and the entire center it tissue paper thin! Light came right threw it. So I have a new one on order... PN 808509... and dam there proud of them. $82.62!!!! There was also some junk around the edge where the diaphragm seals to.

Every thing else looked good, only the filter/strainer had collected some junk on the bottom of it.

Thank you all for the info! Lets cross the fingers it takes care of the problem. Ill report back with updates.

Also here is a couple pics of the computer

Old 06-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

while you are in there replace the needle and seat too.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Registered

:-( parts already ordered. If it don't fix the issue that's next, well at least the needle.... To get the seat that is part of #5 as top cover kit only for the low low price of $350+. Needle is only 37..... I found prices out for 1-12. An entire assemble is over$2k!!!!!!!!!

It pretty ez to get to, now that i know what the heck the VST is and what it dose. Only takes 2 minutes to remove.

Thank you for the advice. Now if I could only find some thing out this 1990 baja! Seems to be the red head step child. I cant find anything out there. All I know this 502 wasn't OEM and the vessel was repowered, along with a small gas tank. Only 65 gallons. It drains quick with the 502...
Old 06-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Registered

Well guys, I have to thank you. I got the diagram installed and ran the engine on muffs. So far, so good. No flooding, no leaking. In fact it even starts ezer now when the engine is warm! No more having to give it throttle to start a warm engine. This afternoon ill give her the real test and see how it performs on the river.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Registered

Well guys Here is what is going on. The first two times out the boat ran awesome, no issues.

Now yesterday It started out great. About half way threw the afternoon it started to get the "gas" smell again and white smoke from the pipes again (just like last time) when starting up and driving at low speeds (600-1000 rpms)

This is the same beginning symptom signs as last time that lead me to find and learn about the VST and replacing the diagram. Im guessing once again raw gas is getting dumped into the intake threw the vent on the VST.

Is there any way to eliminate the vent or modify it so gas can't get pushed thew it flooding out the engine? Any tricks out there? Or time to also replace the needle and seat? It looked fine when I had it apart. The rubber needle wasn't chewed up, broke, or anything. and the brass seat was smooth and sparking clean. Maybe junk is in the seat????

Last edited by 92nsx; 06-16-2012 at 11:50 AM.