Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Hey guys I need some advice on some work I had done on my boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/278907-hey-guys-i-need-some-advice-some-work-i-had-done-my-boat.html)

bikercrze1 06-19-2012 06:40 AM

Hey guys I need some advice on some work I had done on my boat

Ok here it is I am not mentioning names at this point since the problem has not been fixed yet I just want some opinions on the issue at hand the guy who did the work was recommended by the forum.

I brought in my boat to have some valve work done on the port head. After three weeks I got the boat back and wound up having new manifolds put in. A new coil was installed which I wasn’t charged for because it came to be over the initial estimate so the guy did me a solid favor there. While it was being tested at this guys shop he said the IAC valve went out which is understandable on the 6.2L from what I have read. So he replaces that and I pick the boat up two days later. The first thing I notice is my fuel gauge is not working. After I called thinking my ½ tank of fuel was stolen I put in 2o gallons in and it didn’t move so somehow the fuel gauge got messed up. Next I start the boat and it stutters and pops a bit then evens out and sounds great so obviously the head work was done right. After 5 minutes it gets up to operating temp and I give it some throttle on the hose about 1500 RPM. I try to throttle down and it is stuck idling at 950 RPM obviously way to high. Then I try to throttle up a bit again and I hear a laud pop in the top of the motor. It was not a backfire, immediately after the pop it was stuck idling at 1300 RPM’s and would not go down. Now that my fathers days was junk I shut it down and covered it and I am thinking about my next move. I live a solid hour from the shop so it’s not like I can drop it off when I feel like it.

rchevelle71 06-19-2012 06:49 AM

I think you should talk to them, and give them the opportunity to make it right.

NOPUN 06-19-2012 09:43 AM

X2 ^^^

sleev-les 06-19-2012 10:49 AM

x3 ^

On the hose, its going to idle higher anyway. The change you had doesn't fit that though.

CrownHawg 06-19-2012 11:18 AM

I agree, the FIRST thing you should have done was at least talk to the shop guy. Even before posting here, I would have let them know.

bikercrze1 06-19-2012 11:53 AM

I agree 100% he is already helping out over the phone so I don't mean to blast anyone like i said it sounds better so the work was done right, I just think it is odd that I get it back with two more problems then when I dropped it off after he said it was running fine for him with no codes showing up.

CrownHawg 06-19-2012 12:18 PM

Oh, it sounded like you hadn't contacted the mech about this yet. Sounds like you are doing the right thing, and it also sounds like he is too. Hope you get this figured out.

bikercrze1 06-19-2012 08:48 PM

Ok I did some digging today and pulled off the flame arrestor to see if maybe the throttle wasn't closing and I noticed in the little IAC valve hole was some white foam. I looked at a stock photo of the IAC valve on google and for the 6.2L MX MPI there is supposed to be a black cap covering the white foam. That would explain the pop I heard the motor sucked the cap off apparently. Would that also explain why it is idling too high it it just a defective unit? before it was replaced the boat idled at a nice 600 RPM now its stuck at 1000-1200 way too high. I also checked out the fual gauge and the sending unit I think is ok because when I touched the black and pink wire together with the ignition on the gauge did not max out. I checked behind the gauge itself and it seems ok no corrosion so I guess it just went bad?

Pokher Ace 06-19-2012 10:32 PM

Pull the iac and the tps sensors spray them with brake cleaner then reinstall sounds like there getting hung up. Wont hurt to put sum lube on it either. There finicky

bikercrze1 06-25-2012 06:22 PM

Ok got it all figured out. Took the boat back to the shop and after two hours of testing we found out the IAC was the wrong model, he ordered a new one and is having it sent to me and said if that doesn't solve the issue with the idle then he will come to me and pick up the boat, then have a rep look at it. Good by me on that. The second issue turned out to be a bad ground to the fuel sending unit although it took me 3 hours of testing I should have tried that first!. So I still have my half tank of gas I thought dissapeared. Everything is good now. Thanks for the .02 guys