Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   BORING! One hole? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/279263-boring-one-hole.html)

schurgervt 06-24-2012 03:16 AM

BORING! One hole?

So can I bore just 1 cylinder if I ensure that piston and rod are the same weight as the others? Should I sleeve, or find another block. It is a 330 454 with a procharger. It shouldn't see much extreme use. I am looking to be careful how much i spend but ensure the engine is sound. Any thoughts?

ballon78 06-24-2012 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by schurgervt (Post 3716171)
So can I bore just 1 cylinder if I ensure that piston and rod are the same weight as the others? Should I sleeve, or find another block. It is a 330 454 with a procharger. It shouldn't see much extreme use. I am looking to be careful how much i spend but ensure the engine is sound. Any thoughts?

330 cast internals with a procharger is a bad bad idea, wont last long, you need a 385hp 454 or a 415hp 502 parts motor with all forged internals.

picklenjim 06-24-2012 06:28 AM

It certainly wouldn't be the first time it's been done. Decision would kind of depend on how much more your talking.

larose481 06-24-2012 06:52 AM

It's not the right way to fix it as I am sure you are aware of that but yes you can bore one hole if the piston will balance out the same and the pin height is the same along with the dome configuration. In your case the cc of the valve pocket. You can't properly sleeve on hole without boring the whole block. Reason being, if you put enough press fit on the sleeve to properly install it then you will distort the cylinders next to it past the point of rounding up with just a hone. I have had a Procharger on the same engine for 5 years and just ventilated one piston a few weeks ago. After years of abuse, the cast crank magged (wet mag/dye) out perfect and was not bent and didn't even have minor stress cracking. Prochargers along with other centrifical charger apply power progressively and with the rolled radius on the crank which is stronger than the old undersized standard radius cast cranks, I would say with 5 lbs or less boost run it along with the stock 3/8 rods. Do yourself a favor and at least put forged pistons in it and use your remaining money to upgrade your fuel system as that is where the death of a supercharged engine is. Yes there is alot better builds but on a budget this would be fine.

FIXX 06-24-2012 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=larose481;3716192]It's not the right way to fix it as I am sure you are aware of that but yes you can bore one hole if the piston will balance out the same and the pin height is the same along with the dome configuration. In your case the cc of the valve pocket. You can't properly sleeve on hole without boring the whole block. Reason being, if you put enough press fit on the sleeve to properly install it then you will distort the cylinders next to it past the point of rounding up with just a hone. I have had a Procharger on the same engine for 5 years and just ventilated one piston a few weeks ago. After years of abuse, the cast crank magged (wet mag/dye) out perfect and was not bent and didn't even have minor stress cracking. Prochargers along with other centrifical charger apply power progressively and with the rolled radius on the crank which is stronger than the old undersized standard radius cast cranks, I would say with 5 lbs or less boost run it along with the stock 3/8 rods. Do yourself a favor and at least put forged pistons in it and use your remaining money to upgrade your fuel system as that is where the death of a supercharged engine is. Yes there is alot better builds but on a budget this would be fine.[/QU........................................

ezstriper 06-24-2012 08:50 PM

I have a brand new 454 stroker short block,489 cu in, eagle crank and rods, KB blower pistons, balanced...sell $3500

articfriends 06-24-2012 09:12 PM

Sleeve the bad cylinder and forget about it, I seen race engines with several sleeves live, Smitty

schurgervt 06-25-2012 10:12 AM

What if??

Thanks everyone for your input. I do have a low hr 454 mag that is 365 hp. I was going to put that into the Wellcraft but if I can find another mag for the Sonic. I can put the other 330 in the Wellcraft. My other thought is to convert the Sonic into a single engine boat. A lot of work I am sure but sonic s are supposed to be better with less weight.
What would happen if I had slightly mismatched engines in my boat for a while? Like a 330 and a 365 both procharged?

I need to take apart the 330 that just came out of the Wellcraft, it was burning oil but may have usable stock bore. It has 1200 hrs on it. I am sure I will end up having to bore out one of these blocks. A 496 maybe? Then I am back to miss matched engines. Anyone know what I will need for a carb on a 496 with the procharger. The 454 had a Holly 600 square bore. Not sure of the jetting but I can ask this of Procharger.

28Eliminator 06-25-2012 02:09 PM

+1

Originally Posted by articfriends (Post 3716591)
Sleeve the bad cylinder and forget about it, I seen race engines with several sleeves live, Smitty

Any good machine shop will tell you to sleeve it, and not put in mismatched pistons. Have them sleeve it and hone all the others, so they will be round. I have had many blocks sleeved and not had a problem. It can be a problem, but machine shops sleeve industrial cylinders all the time, and you are not running anything special.

mike tkach 06-25-2012 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by 28Eliminator (Post 3717106)
+1

Any good machine shop will tell you to sleeve it, and not put in mismatched pistons. Have them sleeve it and hone all the others, so they will be round. I have had many blocks sleeved and not had a problem. It can be a problem, but machine shops sleeve industrial cylinders all the time, and you are not running anything special.

+2 ,lots of engine blocks have been saved by sleeving,and much cheeper than bying a new block.