HP 500EFI Loss of Power >

HP 500EFI Loss of Power

Notices

HP 500EFI Loss of Power

Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HP 500EFI Loss of Power

Would like to know if anyone has experienced any of my following symptoms, at a loss right now.

First off I think I have two unrelated things going on, but maybe not.

First, when starboard engine is cold it fires right up with barely even cranking over, when it gets warm it will crank for a few seconds and seems to need throttle input to start. Once its running it seems to idle fine without stumbling or anything else.......I'm assuming this may be the IAC?

Second, same motor, starboard, seems to lag and not turn the same RPM's with the same throttle input. This year the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel/water filter and in-line fuel filter were replaced. I pulled the air cleaners and checked the position of the butterfly against the port motor with the same input and and they appear to be equal, especially at WOT. The faster you want to go the more the shifters are out of sync and that motor drinks more fuel as well. I'm going to try a different set of props tonight to see if I'm having prop issues but I don't think that's going to be my problem. I even switched which fuel tanks the motors draw from and no better results.

Could I have a bad injector, should I send these out to be cleaned? I'm at a loss, any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would rule the props out first. Is this a new to you boat? If so has the throttle position you are talking about always been different? When I bought my boat the props were way out and mine was diffeerent by about 600 rpms with the throttle lined up.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Registered

It seemed to get a little worse when I change the props last year but i believe it was off a little even with the old props. Hopefully the new props tonight will solve the problem.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I would check fuel pressure, should be 40 psi or so. And I would see how fast it drops when the engine is shut off. If it drops quickly (less than 15 minutes) you could have a leaky injector that would cause your hot start issues.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:14 AM
Registered

Tried the new/different props last night and nothing changed, i still lack anywhere from 200-500 rpms, the more throttle input the larger the variance. I also noticed that problem engine seemed to emit some smoke out the exhaust on start up and seems to be running richer at idle.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Registered

What about the IAC, when is this working and what exactly does it do........if its faulty can it cause problems throughout the whole rpm range?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

it sounds like you have a leaking injector,like ted said,i recomend sending all 8 from that motor to be checked.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vettex1
Would like to know if anyone has experienced any of my following symptoms, at a loss right now.

First off I think I have two unrelated things going on, but maybe not.

First, when starboard engine is cold it fires right up with barely even cranking over, when it gets warm it will crank for a few seconds and seems to need throttle input to start. Once its running it seems to idle fine without stumbling or anything else.......I'm assuming this may be the IAC?

Second, same motor, starboard, seems to lag and not turn the same RPM's with the same throttle input. This year the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel/water filter and in-line fuel filter were replaced. I pulled the air cleaners and checked the position of the butterfly against the port motor with the same input and and they appear to be equal, especially at WOT. The faster you want to go the more the shifters are out of sync and that motor drinks more fuel as well. I'm going to try a different set of props tonight to see if I'm having prop issues but I don't think that's going to be my problem. I even switched which fuel tanks the motors draw from and no better results.

Could I have a bad injector, should I send these out to be cleaned? I'm at a loss, any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
It does sound like a IAC, you should be checking this with a scan tool so you can see for any codes, or be checking the counts on the IAC. I would be keeping it very simple, have you checked your ignition timing? Yes, you could have a bad injector, but you should follow simple troubleshooting first.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Registered

Would a bad IAC cause a lack of power/rpms in the mid range to full throttle?

The timing was set at the start of the season so I have to assume that its still ok, but could have it checked as well.

How do you check the counts on the IAC, can this only be done with a scan tool?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF....My 500 just took a crap too.....Blown head gasket and unkown cause....that means $$$$$$$$$

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.