Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How much fuel do you really have in the tank?? >

How much fuel do you really have in the tank??

Notices

How much fuel do you really have in the tank??

Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
on my 27 the sending unit is in the middle of the tank and the float stops about 4 in form the bottom and the pick ups r in the back. now with my 33 i have no f in clue so i just keep throwing money at it.
That's how I feel. I have never had the boat on the empty side cause E means 75 gallons left. I think th e boat will be more fun when I just keep 1/2 tank or less for normal river outings
Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mittens
I know my sending unit is at the front of my tank. but after that I dont know where the pick up is.
I was wrong. After further investigation. I was wrong

My fuel pic ups are right at the back of the tank. and the sending unit is right before the pick ups.. so both are right at the back.

I Measured my tank at 16.5 inch deep at the sending unit hole.

My current sending unit, can only read to 13 inches. So when it says its completely EMPTY and stops moving I still have 3 inches of fuel. or 18% ----- 18% of 145 gallons SHOULD be 26 gallons

That's a BIG reserve to me. That and the fact that when i get it to 1/8 of a tank right now, and fill it up it only takes 65-70 gallons. so that's way off.

here is my sender currently. I am goingto get a new one that has not been cut, so I can lower the switch some more, and slowly adjust it as i run it out down some.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

if i where u i would leave it the same that way if you are way out or heading back after the pumps close u will know you can make it. its better to have the more then not enough i think
Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Registered

My friend asks me why I go fill mine every time im around half a tank, till he bairley made it back to the dock last year.....lol This way I never worry!!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

i don't put more then a 1/2 tank in my 33 unless i know i am going on a long hard run to save on the wight. 180 gallons is a lot to carry around on a 20 or 30 minute run to the island.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
i don't put more then a 1/2 tank in my 33 unless i know i am going on a long hard run to save on the wight. 180 gallons is a lot to carry around on a 20 or 30 minute run to the island.

This is my exact reason. I boat on a river, normally 10-15 miles from the doc. I dont need a full tank in my 342. and the way the gauge is, I have never run the boat lower then 1/2 a tank.... this annoys me. When i take trips, or take it out in big water I fill it up.

So wheni see it dropping below a 1/2 its really is below a 1/2.

sucks running a boat for 20 min up river to float, and come right back with 100-140 gallon of gas all the time. just casue your gauge does not go lower.