Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Do i need the internal exhaust flappers? >

Do i need the internal exhaust flappers?

Notices

Do i need the internal exhaust flappers?

Old 08-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do i need the internal exhaust flappers?

My boat has internal flappers along with the ones that clamp on the outside of the exhaust tip. The internal ones the rubber is gone of the edges so it sound like someone with a ball peen hammer trying to get out. Mainly at idle but also going slow. Do i need to repace them or get rid of them since there is a flapper on the out side also?
The following users liked this post:
Samer (04-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine with the rubber tipped flappers when they started pinging. They quickly started sticking shut. So after ripping the rubber off (still would stick) and then removed the flappers. Sealed the holes left in the thru hull pipes. I just have the clamp on type with no issues. I have GIL style high curve tail pipes.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the rubber flapper on the outside is ugly. it is also the best flapper there is. you also know when it doesn't work any more, and is the cheapest-easiest to replace. as long as you can live with the look, the internals are not necessary. people with internal flappers who leave boats in the water should make plugs to stick in end of exhausts. the water usually gets in when you aren't there. maybe even get cute. copy the red "remove before flight" flags for covers for fighter plane intakes...
The following users liked this post:
Samer (04-01-2024)
Old 08-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Registered

had eddie's internal and external...the internal ones on all four tips disappeared within the first 100 hours, so it's just been the external since then (~350 hours)...no problems at all.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

external on mine, no issues ever... nobody ever really sees them under my swimdeck anyway..
Old 08-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Registered

mine are on top of swim platform. not the best conversion, but the side exhausts really filled the motor with water.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:38 AM
Registered

If your tips are corsa they have lifetime warranty, you can tell because it is a 2 piece clamshell, if its a 1 piece butterfly its eddie marine no warranty. if corsa call jeff post @ 440-260-3145. I had eddie & ended up buying 4 new corsa tips & the quality is much better
Old 08-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
mine are on top of swim platform. not the best conversion, but the side exhausts really filled the motor with water.
Why? I have side exhaust (rear facing) with no flappers and have no issues. The water would need to flow uphill over 2 feet and 3 feet in on either side. That's a lot of anti gravity water.

Though I haven't seen your set-up either. Side exhaust is usually pretty good for this.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Registered

the nova 3 had side facing exhaust that was only about 4 inches above waterline and 6 inches-if that much-below riser. with a 4 inch hose sitting sideways behind each motor to tie both exhausts together before dumping out the side. tied to dock at shore, boat rocks. exh goes under, gets water. rocks other way, throws water up pipe. right into the engine. the way they molded the platform on this boat made some compromises that make through-prop the best choice for exhaust. i also have to find new location for trim tab pump, cuz the 2 center exhausts now use the space it was mounted to...i gave up on this boat 6 years ago. just bought it back this winter. like an old girlfriend. once you get her back, you remember why you ran screaming the first time...

Last edited by dereknkathy; 08-04-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
the nova 3 had side facing exhaust that was only about 4 inches above waterline and 6 inches-if that much-below riser. with a 4 inch hose sitting sideways behind each motor to tie both exhausts together before dumping out the side. tied to dock at shore, boat rocks. exh goes under, gets water. rocks other way, throws water up pipe. right into the engine. the way they molded the platform on this boat made some compromises that make through-prop the best choice for exhaust. i also have to find new location for trim tab pump, cuz the 2 center exhausts now use the space it was mounted to...i gave up on this boat 6 years ago. just bought it back this winter. like an old girlfriend. once you get her back, you remember why you ran screaming the first time...

Ah, that makes sense! That's a really bad design, now I understand some of the other discussions around this boat and where to route the exhaust! Wonder if it would be ok with some nice exhaust/risers....unless there isn't room for that either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.