Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   I Want To Cry (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/282914-i-want-cry.html)

Ntrsspray 08-15-2012 09:15 PM

I Want To Cry

Ok so monday evening I dunked my race boat for an after work cruise for dinner....I work alot so this is only the second time the boats been out this year but the first day 3 weeks ago ran excellent although i start the boat once a week or so on the hose

first a little info on the motors 365 small blocks with wiend blowers, dual carbs, stainless exhaust

here we go. I was running about 3,000 rpm into a slight turn and the "high side" motor shut down and i felt the boat shimmy a bit. I am a gauge looker always looking at them. when i felt the loss it still had oil pressure and the motor was not running hot at all. I throttled down and opened the hatch before re fire. there was no signs of failure or no indication via noise, smell, extra parts. so i decided to refire and the motor was locked up you could see the crank try but nothing, no spin. Milked it home on one motor.

Next day....... I checked the oil(clear, no water or metal), pulled the plugs(great burn no metal or water) tried to fire and still locked with the plugs out, pulled the drive and that was fine, motor still locked, tried a pry bar and its bound up....

any ideas before i have a complete melt down

thank you in advance:traurig001::traurig001::traurig001:

J. Hordubay 08-15-2012 09:23 PM

probably a long shot but try taking blower belt off and turning over with a breaker bar, maybe the blower locked up, good luck

Philm 08-16-2012 01:22 AM

Was running with a buddy who had a 572 N/A in his Pantera. Cruising nice and easy at 4000rpm when his engine lost power and locked up tight. Starter wouldnt turn it an inch. Everything looked great. Turns out he broke his Crower crank....

Hope yours turns out better.

Griff 08-16-2012 01:45 AM

I would say that no matter what, the engine is going to have to come out. Might as well just start by pulling it and going from there.

tcelano 08-16-2012 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Philm (Post 3755239)
Was running with a buddy who had a 572 N/A in his Pantera. Cruising nice and easy at 4000rpm when his engine lost power and locked up tight. Starter wouldnt turn it an inch. Everything looked great. Turns out he broke his Crower crank....

Hope yours turns out better.

Had the same exact thing happen with a Callies crank. You couldn't have described the symptoms any more accurately. Mine happened just over 3000 rpm. It broke just forward of #1. It coughed as the crank trigger went out of phase, and then shut down. No bad noises. I attempted to refire, and it turned over slowly. After a couple tries, it smoked the starter. As it cooled, it locked up tight. No other damage besides crank, although block gets re-align honed.

tcelano 08-16-2012 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3755242)
I would say that no matter what, the engine is going to have to come out. Might as well just start by pulling it and going from there.

+1. I didn't even bother speculating. I was in the same situation. If the motor is locked up, you are not going to solve it in the boat.

Ntrsspray 08-16-2012 06:50 AM

Yea I know I'm trying to fight the obvious. Although when I turned the key to attempt a start the crank shimmys. Would it still do that if it's broke. Never broke a crank before. What kind of damage am I looking at

Knot 4 Me 08-16-2012 09:29 AM

Pull it. I agree with others the crank most likely broke.

MASCH 08-16-2012 10:11 AM

Just had about the same thing happen. Goin along @ 3000 gauges all looked good, engine died, popped the hatch and pulled the dipstick to look for anything odd. Didnt see anything except engine was locked up tight. Limped home on 1 and the next day started looking and it ended up being a drive locked up. Pulled the drive off and everything in the engine is fine. Maybe you will get lucky and it be something simpleand/or somewhat inexpensive....if there is such a thing LOL

Wally 08-16-2012 10:39 AM

Well just to give you a glimmer of hope...i had the same thing happen to me but in my case i got lucky and one of the coupler bolts on the flywheel came off and jammed between the bellhousing and the flywheel and locked me up....i was expecting the worse like stated above and was almost crying the entire time i was tearing into it....untill i got to the back after yankeing the motor out! :D whew!!