Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   350 MAG MPI...LOW IDLE @500....and RICH..HELP! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/283274-350-mag-mpi-low-idle-%40500-rich-help.html)

stepuptata 08-21-2012 09:02 PM

350 MAG MPI...LOW IDLE @500....and RICH..HELP!

I have a 2005 Crownline with a MERC. 350 MAG MPI GEN III Engine. The boat has low hours @ 160. I noticed first time out 2 months ago it was running rich and using more fuel. Second time out 4 weeks a It was running very rich at cold start and idle and brownish tint smoke. Last week.. 3rd time out 500 rpm,very choppy idle, missing and backfired a few times. Pulled plugs and very black. Cap and rotor new. Flame arresotr good and clean. I'm getting NO alarms. Boat seemed too run fine at W.O.T. but burning more fuel. Any help would be great.
Thanks.

Trash 08-21-2012 09:57 PM

Temp sensor shot or injectors leaking could be the problem.

stepuptata 08-22-2012 05:39 AM

Do you mean the temp sensor located in the thermostat housing. My impeller was destroyed on sea pump. Also thermostat opened slow @ 190.
Thanx alot for help!

Broomes Isle Joe 08-22-2012 05:53 AM

temp sensors usually wont read unless there in water, if your sea pump failed u may not have been getting water to sensor
i would repair pump.backflush system if any impeller pieces are missing, make sure your temp is ok if still running rich check fuel pressure,

stepuptata 08-22-2012 07:15 AM

My impeller was destroyed. Pulled pieces out of pump with needle nose pliers!. I don't think the sensor got and water although the temp gauge was reading 220 and alarm sounded....this was with the ear muffs on...quickly shut down.
Question.....
Why would this make my boat run so rich....plugs black as coal!
Thanks guys for and suggestions

stepuptata 08-22-2012 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Broomes Isle Joe (Post 3759527)
temp sensors usually wont read unless there in water, if your sea pump failed u may not have been getting water to sensor
i would repair pump.backflush system if any impeller pieces are missing, make sure your temp is ok if still running rich check fuel pressure,

Best way to back flush system?

wetdreamoutlaw 08-22-2012 07:28 AM

You should also check your oil cooler for pieces of the impeller.

stepuptata 08-22-2012 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by wetdreamoutlaw (Post 3759577)
You should also check your oil cooler for pieces of the impeller.

OK...not sure where located

Broomes Isle Joe 08-22-2012 08:39 AM

i dont believe there is an oil cooler on 350 mpi ,just p/s cooler
i would dissconnect outlet from sea pump and dissconnect water feed to therm housing put garden hose in hose flush back towards pump see what comes out if your fwc this procedure will be different let us know

stepuptata 08-22-2012 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Broomes Isle Joe (Post 3759636)
i dont believe there is an oil cooler on 350 mpi ,just p/s cooler
i would dissconnect outlet from sea pump and dissconnect water feed to therm housing put garden hose in hose flush back towards pump see what comes out if your fwc this procedure will be different let us know

Yes....I only have power steering cooler. I already have inlet and outlet hide disconnected. There appears to be check valves on either side of motor below exhaust manifolds. I would assume to flush before them down to sea pump.
what is ....fwc?
Boat is fresh water use only
thanx