Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone have a scan tool around Kalamazoo area. >

Anyone have a scan tool around Kalamazoo area.

Notices

Anyone have a scan tool around Kalamazoo area.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a scan tool around Kalamazoo area.

Scan tool around Kalamazoo?
Anyone happen to have a scan tool around Kalamazoo area? Dropped boat in the water today and it would not start. Could hear it fire one cylinder once in awhile like it was trying. Two hours tying up dock all by myself trying to get it going with no luck. Brought home change water separator filter still no luck. Shot with starting fluid and will run about 3-4 seconds. Any ideas? Boat ran fine last time out 3 weeks ago. No signs and never had a starting issue. Would a bad iac cause this? I checked wires and they are not burnt. Pulled hose off throttle body and can blow air threw it. Not sure if it should be open or closed at this point or not. Any help would be great. Engine is a 496 ho
Old 08-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

When you just turn the ignition on, do you hear recurring beeps?
Old 08-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get a fuel pressure gage on the fuel rail,,it's next to coolant tank,,,auto zone have them there cheap,,,hook. It up to the sharder valve,,,turn key on and off a couple times,,,your pressure should be 38-40 psi,,,use a half inch to remove a couple of bolts holding the coolant to the bracket,it makes getting the fuel gage hooked easier
Old 08-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Registered

Ok got it narrowed down the the pump under plastic cover on the right side of engine when your in boat looking at it. Does anyone know if there should be voltage on that plug with key on engine not running? What I have figured out now is it shows no voltage. Like mentioned above. If I tap the pump area with a wrench it starts and runs fine. Shut it off and try to restart it will run about 10 seconds and die. Tap again runs great. Numerous times. Is that the regulator above the pump? If so should I assume pump or regulator at this time? Can I replace either or both easily or do I need a gauge to reset fuel pressure etc?

Thanks guys for any info.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Registered

Also I pressed the center of the shradder valve when it wouldn't start and just a tiny hiss and tiny bit of fuel. I figured if it had pressure should of been more than what I was seeing. But I will also be picking up a gauge.