Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Seller Rating on OSO? Im new but want to buy and dont want to get screwed! >

Seller Rating on OSO? Im new but want to buy and dont want to get screwed!

Notices

Seller Rating on OSO? Im new but want to buy and dont want to get screwed!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seller Rating on OSO? Im new but want to buy and dont want to get screwed!

I'm dealing with a member on here and wasn't sure how everything works. Do you just take the guys word for it or is there a way to get a warm and fuzzy feeling? Any Ideas?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

? Go look at the boat. Go drive the boat. Get a leak down test on the engines. Get a survey done on the boat. If all those come back pretty good I would say you can start having fuzzy feelings...
Old 08-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Registered

Its parts for an engine. Im comfortable with the parts and the price but he lives in Canada and i live in Kansas, United States. I was more or less curious if there was a way to know if they were someone you could trust. Being a total stranger and all. I normally use paypal but this person doesnt want to use it and i cant blame them with the hassle and fees etc
Old 08-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Magic Mark
Its parts for an engine. Im comfortable with the parts and the price but he lives in Canada and i live in Kansas, United States. I was more or less curious if there was a way to know if they were someone you could trust. Being a total stranger and all. I normally use paypal but this person doesnt want to use it and i cant blame them with the hassle and fees etc
Check the beware and stolen section here: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/beware-stolen-183/

Or have them put it on ebay and you cover the fee's. I've had good luck with my internet transactions, but there is a beware section for a reason...
Old 08-29-2012, 11:27 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I've wondered the same thing and have roughly 20 clean transactions over the years.......luckily never a problem. I've often considered (or even suggested) putting a post up saying "I'm planning on buying something from XXX member, if anyone has feedback (positive or negative) please let me know". I've never had anyone take me up on that when I was selling something but wouldn't have a problem with someone questioning the members about me if they did.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

I've had good luck buying stuff from complete motors to gimble bearings from members here. I tend to search the previous posts from the seller and then look for a trend or opinion based on that and then call and talk on phone. Getter a better vibe than just email. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
I've wondered the same thing and have roughly 20 clean transactions over the years.......luckily never a problem. I've often considered (or even suggested) putting a post up saying "I'm planning on buying something from XXX member, if anyone has feedback (positive or negative) please let me know". I've never had anyone take me up on that when I was selling something but wouldn't have a problem with someone questioning the members about me if they did.
I really like this idea and i would agree. I would rather people be able to knowingly trust me. I have spoke with the guy and he seems honest and trusting. Just nervous since its across the border and the amount of the transaction.