Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bo0rke down just in time for Labor day... >

Bo0rke down just in time for Labor day...

Notices

Bo0rke down just in time for Labor day...

Old 08-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
Got it fixed, boaters value in wyandotte pulled the part out of an aftermarket fuel pump kit and sold it to me for $20, it's installed and fixed my wiring from last night, all is well. Last night I put together a better tool kit...it's on the boat now
What component ended up being bad?
Old 08-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it fixed, boaters value in wyandotte pulled the part out of an aftermarket fuel pump kit and sold it to me for $20, it's installed and fixed my wiring from last night, all is well. Last night I put together a better tool kit...it's on the boat now
Glad to hear your back on the water for Labor Day!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
What component ended up being bad?
Oil pressure safety switch, just like this one, just you guys suggested! Once I had my test light there I could tell there was power getting to the one side of the switch and not the other, so that made is pretty damn easy once I had a test light. Though in hindsight I should have just pulled the hot wire coming in and connected that to the fuel pump to bypass the switch instead of cutting the pump wire. It's funny how you make pretty dumb decision when you are under pressure...(wife getting nervous etc.) At least it's soldered and shrink wrapped now not using crimp connectors, which I hate.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 08-30-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Registered

My fountain has both a mechanical and electric pump. The electric pump only runs once the oil pressure is up. So there is a switch on the dash to over ride the oil presurre switch so you do not have to crank the engine a lot to get it fired up. I just hit the switch for a few seconds before a cold start this fills the carb and she always fires right up. The rest of the day it fires up without doing this and would also shut the electric pump off if there was no oil pressure.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Registered

So many combinations out there...though I swear mine doesn't turn over once before it fires the diaphragm keeps it primed unless it sits over the winter or something, then it turns over a few times, but not many.

Though this is what it looks like when tow-boat us shows up just as you finish Macgyvering...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/27ogkxpmjm0j8h5/P8290061.MP4

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 08-31-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Registered

Here is the video I took after the fix, appreciate your help guys!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/walnix0xvk...%2008%20PM.mov

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 08-31-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BBCLib, what exhaust are you running with that cam? Is it the same exhaust that you dyno'ed the engine with?
Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
BBCLib, what exhaust are you running with that cam? Is it the same exhaust that you dyno'ed the engine with?
Stainless marine with standard risers, the engine was effectively "tuned" on Dyno headers and then the manfiolds were installed and pulled 2 runs with the exhasut wet over 20 (I don't remember 100% the exact # loss between the two) horsepower loss when we changed to the marine manifolds, so those are real world #'s. Not the best for bragging maybe, but I don't really care. The engine is worth more than the boat at this point anyhow, but it's what I could pay cash for and fits my needs.

So yes. See the pic of the engine. It would sound even better if the exhaust tips weren't 1/2 under water

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q2fub78lkhblq83/502.jpg

And she run's pretty good for a hull that I think everyone would agree, isn't a particularly fast hull, in fact most would call it a slow hull (including me). 4 adults and my 2 girls on board and I'd just filled up for this weekend so this is a slower # than I usually see.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/evm38ifq4km67c1/GPS.jpg

Sorry My father-in-law doesn't understand what keep the camera below the windshield means, I guess he likes hearing the wind
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxdbfn6sahgw7ej/P8290035.MP4

And yes, this is about 2 hours before the oil pressure switch took a dump

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 08-31-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The engine is worth more than the boat at this point anyhow
Yeah, I know what you mean about that. I bought my Baja back in 99, and I thought for sure I would be sitting in a 30ish Formula by now. Two kids later, so much for that! I really went way over what I had planned to spend on this boat engine. I had hoped that the 461 that was in it before would have hung on for a few more years, but it had over 500 hours on it when I finally lost the ringland on a couple of pistons - detonation, most likely, or it would probably still be running. I have a stock Gen VI 454 long block sitting in the garage that I will probably throw together and put in the boat if I ever sell it.

Did you have someone fabricate those pipes going out to the side exhaust? A friend of mine has a similar setup on his 27 Nordic. He wants to put headers on it but I told him to leave the thing bone stock and enjoy it.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
Yeah, I know what you mean about that. I bought my Baja back in 99, and I thought for sure I would be sitting in a 30ish Formula by now. Two kids later, so much for that! I really went way over what I had planned to spend on this boat engine. I had hoped that the 461 that was in it before would have hung on for a few more years, but it had over 500 hours on it when I finally lost the ringland on a couple of pistons - detonation, most likely, or it would probably still be running. I have a stock Gen VI 454 long block sitting in the garage that I will probably throw together and put in the boat if I ever sell it.

Did you have someone fabricate those pipes going out to the side exhaust? A friend of mine has a similar setup on his 27 Nordic. He wants to put headers on it but I told him to leave the thing bone stock and enjoy it.
Those were actually on the boat when I purchased it, the previous owner intalled the SM manifolds and could never get it run correclty after that. Turned out is was the crummy OMC spitfire ignition and had nothing to do with anything else so a DUI distributor and a bunch of re-wiring later I was back in business and saw a best of just about 63mph, 61-62 anyday. I spun the #4 bearing and lost oil pressure last fall and had this built over the winter.

You already know the engine combination. I called Bob to do a basic rebuild and he basically told me if I didn't go roller I'd hate myself forever (ok so he used much nicer words than those ), so I did and holy hell have I been happy with the results for a pretty damn basic combination.

It added about $1200 to the job, but had I not done it I still be getting embarrassed by those pesky baja's/fornula's/etc and all the other boats I wish I had... Now at least I get to at least play and on occasion DO some of the humiliating (and lets be real, getting beat by a liberator is pretty humiliating).

There is a 25 Outlaw at my marina that flat out hates me, guy won't even talk to me. He swears next year I'll never beat him again. The boats are really close in speed, I barely edge him out (502/415). I like to tell him he's lucky I always have my family with me or it wouldn't even be close

Makes for a lot more fun, do doubt about it. The wife is starting to ask for a cruiser, so I'm not sure how much longer the fun will last. But for what this thing is actually worth if I sold it, maybe I'd just hang onto it.

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 08-31-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.