Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Starboard prop not keeping "traction" (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/283831-starboard-prop-not-keeping-traction.html)

atisvt99 08-30-2012 08:11 AM

Starboard prop not keeping "traction"

Hi all,

Had an interesting experience last night while coming home from some all-you-can-eat just down the river... We were cruising around 3k rpms when all of the sudden the boat seemed to come off plane or at least act a little funny - i turned around as I backed both throttles off and noticed a funny spray of water coming what I "think" was the starboard side.

I thought maybe I caught a crab pot rope... turned off both motors, raised the drives, and checked for missing out drives, props, bent skegs, wrapped around ropes, etc... everything seemed to be normal and in tact. However, I could never get back up on plane after that... I typically throttle both engines up to about 2300-2500 rpms to get on plane; this time as soon as I got both engines up to 2k rpms, the starboard engine would start to rev up much faster than the port??? I played around with it for several minutes, trying different RPMs, checked everything out back again, made sure fwd and reverse worked for both engines/drives at idle, etc... But I could never get the starboard side to "bite" again and get up on plane...

Fortunately I was only a few hundred yards out from my marina, so we limped back plowing water with both motors around 1500 rpm.

Could I have a bent prop? A buddy of mine said it could be a prop hub??? When I had both my out drives serviced this spring, the shop said that my input shafts were slightly worn, and would need replacing "at some point" but he didn't know when for sure... I'm sure hoping it's not the latter since that requires taking the engines out!!! :poo poo:

Boat is a 2000 Donzi 28ZX (Scorpion) with the 377 scorpion engines... Everything is factory stock. Both tickers have about 395 hours on them.

Any ideas? Thanks all...

- Justin

mike tkach 08-30-2012 08:47 AM

what props are you running?

Knot 4 Me 08-30-2012 08:54 AM

Something is taking the water off that prop. Is the boat on a trailer or lift or is it in the water at the marina?

jwp 08-30-2012 09:23 AM

Bring the motor up to TDC and mark the outdrive shaft at the coupler.
Go for a ride and see if they line up after.

Do you have a solid or rubber hub?

atisvt99 08-30-2012 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 3765727)
what props are you running?

I'm not 100% sure, but the previous boat owner just responded to my txt and said it's a (3 blade) Mercury Mirage... I wasn't necessarily feeling for nicks or dents last night, more just checking to see if all 3 blades were still there. And it was dark, so I didn't get a chance to examine them once I had the boat back up in the lift... but I'll head to the water this afternoon and check to see if there is anything obviously wrong with the prop.

atisvt99 08-30-2012 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 3765735)
Something is taking the water off that prop. Is the boat on a trailer or lift or is it in the water at the marina?

It's in a covered lift slip... I can hang off the back this afternoon and examine the prop.

Originally Posted by jwp (Post 3765757)
Bring the motor up to TDC and mark the outdrive shaft at the coupler.
Go for a ride and see if they line up after.

Do you have a solid or rubber hub?

Ha, I'm a little afraid of what I might find if I mark the outdrive shaft! :) But I hear what you're saying... I know the teeth on both shafts are a *little* rounded, as my mechanic pointed out this past spring... but the shop tech and I were thinking/hoping I could still get a few more years out of them before they got too bad.

I'm not sure what the hub is made of; is there an easy/obvious way to tell?

Thanks for all the replies, fellas... I appreciate it!

Knot 4 Me 08-30-2012 09:37 AM

The smallest piece of wood jammed up in the right place can do exactly what you describe. It has happened to me many times running at LOTO and on the Illinois river. If you don't find anything around the drive that could disrupt the water to the prop, then I would take a look at the prop hub and driveshaft splines/coupler splines.

Too Stroked 08-30-2012 10:27 AM

A spun hub in a prop will do all of that too.

ziemer 08-30-2012 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Too Stroked (Post 3765805)
A spun hub in a prop will do all of that too.

That's what it sounds like to me.

Too Stroked 08-30-2012 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by ziemer (Post 3765834)
That's what it sounds like to me.

I'm a big fan of going for the simple stuff first.