Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
HUGE favor… What is this CC 245 Limited Worth??? New Guy! Video included! >

HUGE favor… What is this CC 245 Limited Worth??? New Guy! Video included!

Notices

HUGE favor… What is this CC 245 Limited Worth??? New Guy! Video included!

Old 09-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by machloosy
The long block will ONLY cost you $2000 but then you find you need a new alternator... And a new water pump, and a valve job, and a, and a.
$2k for a rebuild?

It does NOT cost that much to rebuild a BB. I have two friends that have both rebuilt their BBs over the past few years, one which needed a lot of work, and both were under $1k. This isn't a Mercury blue motor or a 1350. Standard BB stuff is cheap.

BTW, one of those rebuilds is holding boost on it with just plain 'ol off the shelf parts and no problems after many abusive hours.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the drive and gimball housing are worth a grand. hull doesn't look horrible. int is rough, but they all are at 25 years old. offer a grand. nobody else is buying stuff like this this time of year. ok, it is thru-prop exhaust. buy new orig style exhaust manifolds and try to find stainless risers (stock style) on ebay or here. ask seller where the dead motor with all the accessories is. there is a bunch of stuff missing that isn't part of the motor. alt. power steering pump. bracket to mount them. exhaust manifolds-hoses-elbows. flywheel-coupler-flywheel housing. if you hafta buy all this stuff seperately it will cost. if he comes up with all the parts this boat is doable.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 203 Likes on 131 Posts

There are deals all over, if nothing else READ READ AND READ about boats and boating if your not familiar...

I would look for a turn key boat to start with, it may need work but at least your starting with a running boat...

deals like this are all over, just gotta look around....

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/3225401321.html
Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Justin
$2k for a rebuild?

It does NOT cost that much to rebuild a BB. I have two friends that have both rebuilt their BBs over the past few years, one which needed a lot of work, and both were under $1k. This isn't a Mercury blue motor or a 1350. Standard BB stuff is cheap.

BTW, one of those rebuilds is holding boost on it with just plain 'ol off the shelf parts and no problems after many abusive hours.
I spent more then 1000.00 in machine work alone, and I build my own engines....

Sorry, but if its done right its not gonna be cheap....it might last the cheap way, usually not though...

I had I think around around 2500-3000 each in mine doing them myself, I like good parts though...
Old 09-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
There are deals all over, if nothing else READ READ AND READ about boats and boating if your not familiar...

I would look for a turn key boat to start with, it may need work but at least your starting with a running boat...

deals like this are all over, just gotta look around....

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/3225401321.html

Jeeebus! They are giving boats away up there... I spoke with a few other people that are familiar with this boat. Including a mechanic that has wrenched on this boat for years. He said the boat has always been one of his favorites and that it is really worth saving. He also gave me a few pointers for checking the hull for rot...

I also have a worst case motor refresh quote from a local motor builder. I'll report back tomorrow. I may actually make this happen!!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SLOWBRAH
Jeeebus! They are giving boats away up there... I spoke with a few other people that are familiar with this boat. Including a mechanic that has wrenched on this boat for years. He said the boat has always been one of his favorites and that it is really worth saving. He also gave me a few pointers for checking the hull for rot...

I also have a worst case motor refresh quote from a local motor builder. I'll report back tomorrow. I may actually make this happen!!
Listen to people who have done this before, not pals who have not, I swear you will sink a fortune in it, but go for it if you want, but remember we told ya so....

I am all for fixing stuff up, but sometimes you gotta look at big picture..

trust me many deals out there that will save you tons, just look around...they are giving stuff away in the south too...
Old 09-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an 89 235 Baja off this site cheap last summer. Drove 800 miles each way as I was looking for the same thing you are looking for. I wanted a closed bow v8 performance style boat. I use that term loosely as I know my boat is not on par with most of the awesome boats on this site, but I only bought the boat for $1500 and I got it from the interior shop who had just redone all the interior in the boat for a non paying customer. I had to do a little stringer/fiberglass work, but it was all new to me and I was happy to have the boat. It didn't have a motor. The original 454 was crap so I built a new motor, shopped for deals etc. I did all the work myself and got the boat done in a month. It was a ton of work and I did work on it any time I had a chance to. We picked it up July 4 and were on the river around August 4 (or close to it). From that point we put 100 hours on the boat in the last couple months of the season. We were on the boat 3-4 days a week. It's been a blast and has been pretty trouble free. I rebuilt the motor this spring because I wanted more power, but if it weren't for the speed bug I would have just left it. I ended up changing the heads, intake, carb, roller rockers etc. I went from 59 to 66-67 mph. Not smoking all the moved on the water but was a nice gain for minimal money.

When I move up to a bigger boat I will probably make out good on the boat as I really shopped around and don't have a ton in the boat. I will actually look for another project boat because this one has worked out so well. The only thing left to do on my boat is the paint. It has an ugly wrap with buccaneers football logo's all over it (some may remember it from the hideous wrap...lol), but I havent messed with it yet because I can't see it from inside the boat. Lol

This site is awesome and is my favorite destination on the web, but like others have mentioned this is where the high $$$ boat guys hang out so prices of things are crazy high when you see some of the build threads, but that's why I like this site. Fun to read until I build one for myself. There are a lot of good people here that are willing to help and if it weren't for this site I wouldn't have my boat. For the money I have in my boat I couldn't have bought a v6 bow rider off of craigslist so it worked out for me. My suggestion like others have said is read read read. I read the forum non stop trying to learn from others project threads and it made my project go much smoother.

Good luck

Last edited by cp5899; 09-14-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
Listen to people who have done this before, not pals who have not, I swear you will sink a fortune in it, but go for it if you want, but remember we told ya so.
He's not talking to people that haven't had any experience with this. As I mentioned earlier this ain't our first rodeo, myself and a few others have built many motors and the prices being thrown around here are astronomical. Machine work and parts are not that bad. Once again, this is/would be a budget build. He's not trying to run 70+ or make stupid dyno numbers. It's just something to get him on the water.

A few more details about this boat. The pictures don't do it justice. Since the guy let a bolt drop down the carb and destroy the original motor it's been sitting. I have seen it on the water this season and it looks sharp when cleaned up. He's had it under a damn tree ever since. The current owner is also well known in the community and has owned the boat for the past 15 years. So we know this boat decently well. The motor and accessories are at his shop. So the power steering, alternator, and whatnot are still with it.]

I will admit, if I didn't know the boat I would have told him to run, too. BUT, knowing the boat and owner makes for a different situation.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin
He's not talking to people that haven't had any experience with this. As I mentioned earlier this ain't our first rodeo, myself and a few others have built many motors and the prices being thrown around here are astronomical. Machine work and parts are not that bad. Once again, this is/would be a budget build. He's not trying to run 70+ or make stupid dyno numbers. It's just something to get him on the water.

A few more details about this boat. The pictures don't do it justice. Since the guy let a bolt drop down the carb and destroy the original motor it's been sitting. I have seen it on the water this season and it looks sharp when cleaned up. He's had it under a damn tree ever since. The current owner is also well known in the community and has owned the boat for the past 15 years. So we know this boat decently well. The motor and accessories are at his shop. So the power steering, alternator, and whatnot are still with it.]

I will admit, if I didn't know the boat I would have told him to run, too. BUT, knowing the boat and owner makes for a different situation.

Well, he did ask. No way that boat got in that condition sitting for two months. Most of use know when we see something being treated like that, everything else on it is usually treated the same.

Like I said, consider it a hobby and go for, but in realtiy this is not the best place for him to get advice on a budget.

Most guys here (me being one of them) would not put that boat back together without replacing the bellows, gimble bearing, u joints, and coupler.

When I look at the pictures I think non working gauges, trim problems, overridden saftety switches, non working blower....these are just guesses, but it is what I think. There could easily be $2,500 that no one sees right now. Boats are made to be wet, but not sit in the rain and sun uncovered for months on end

Do it right and it is a money pit, but hey they all are. From an investment stand point no boats make sense. And he could buy one turn key that blows up tomorrow. I still say do it, just don't ask people if it is worth it or a smart investment, because it is not, but that doesn't matter....it is a hobby not an investment.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cp5899
I bought an 89 235 Baja off this site cheap last summer. Drove 800 miles each way as I was looking for the same thing you are looking for. I wanted a closed bow v8 performance style boat. I use that term loosely as I know my boat is not on par with most of the awesome boats on this site, but I only bought the boat for $1500 and I got it from the interior shop who had just redone all the interior in the boat for a non paying customer. I had to do a little stringer/fiberglass work, but it was all new to me and I was happy to have the boat. It didn't have a motor. The original 454 was crap so I built a new motor, shopped for deals etc. I did all the work myself and got the boat done in a month. It was a ton of work and I did work on it any time I had a chance to. We picked it up July 4 and were on the river around August 4 (or close to it). From that point we put 100 hours on the boat in the last couple months of the season. We were on the boat 3-4 days a week. It's been a blast and has been pretty trouble free. I rebuilt the motor this spring because I wanted more power, but if it weren't for the speed bug I would have just left it. I ended up changing the heads, intake, carb, roller rockers etc. I went from 59 to 66-67 mph. Not smoking all the moved on the water but was a nice gain for minimal money.

When I move up to a bigger boat I will probably make out good on the boat as I really shopped around and don't have a ton in the boat. I will actually look for another project boat because this one has worked out so well. The only thing left to do on my boat is the paint. It has an ugly wrap with buccaneers football logo's all over it (some may remember it from the hideous wrap...lol), but I havent messed with it yet because I can't see it from inside the boat. Lol

This site is awesome and is my favorite destination on the web, but like others have mentioned this is where the high $$$ boat guys hang out so prices of things are crazy high when you see some of the build threads, but that's why I like this site. Fun to read until I build one for myself. There are a lot of good people here that are willing to help and if it weren't for this site I wouldn't have my boat. For the money I have in my boat I couldn't have bought a v6 bow rider off of craigslist so it worked out for me. My suggestion like others have said is read read read. I read the forum non stop trying to learn from others project threads and it made my project go much smoother.

Good luck

Thanks a million!! Yes, I have realized that site is tailored to extravagant off shore boats, but it is the only site that popped up in a Google search concerning the CC 245's. I have lots of people who know the boat and are optimistic about a positive low budget outcome. Justin and many of my other boat friends are very experienced with boating and especially with boat repair. This is because they have a passion to be on the water. We all can’t swing 70+ grand for a boat as of now; therefore we have learned to work on them with our own two hands and do what we have to do to get on the water. I haven't made the move yet, but I may soon. I didn't know the boat and saw it as you all have in the pictures. So I got what I asked for!! I am however learning a great deal from this forum. I plan on utilizing this knowledge to get me on the water; whether it is this boat or another closed bow V8! It seems that this has created a bit of buz, so I will keep you informed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.