Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
96 Rinker 232 Engine Swap >

96 Rinker 232 Engine Swap

Notices

96 Rinker 232 Engine Swap

Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to agree with what everyone says here, I ignored it on my boat, and built my 502. Difference being I already had the 502 stock. I will tell you I've humbled more than a few "fast" boats this year (a 70mph boat is fast everywhere but on this site!!!) But starting with a 7.4 you will be in some big money to get to 450-500hp. You would be better off swapping in a complete motor.

I know zero about your hull, but everyone warned me about chine walk etc etc etc, things runs straight and stable to over 70. That being said, I'd have a 75-80mph boat with a faster hull in its size (221 Liberator), but as noted in this thread...it's paid for, and that's something. And it's great in the water I boat in for it's size.

Hey Low-psi, you gonna be out anymore this year?

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 09-14-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rockfish71
Well it's all what you want if you plan to keep it for a while put the power you want in it it's not a race hull but it will run strong. You can repower the boat back to the way it was if you sell it and then you will have a higher power motor for the new boat that don't have higher power. yes you will send big cash for the power

I have a 1992 236 Rinker it is a diffrent hull they where more a sport power boat hull that will run with any boat that size they came a 435 hp 502 that ran 70 stock like the stingray Baja boats
I'm running a 502 625hp 28 pitch bravo 1.5 ratio and will run 87 mph @5200 rpm 5% slip and will run 92 mph with a 30 pitch bravo and it runs very stable at thoses speeds the hull is in the water that helps I run the detroit river and alot of lake Erie all summer log.
check out my link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Edrq...hannel&list=UL
I've never seen you out there, but a 90mph rinker!?!?!? That's pretty awesome!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
Hey Low-psi, you gonna be out anymore this year?
Hope to be out on Sunday and planing a trip to PIB next Saturday the 22nd. As long as the weather holds out and I don't hit anything else I hope to be boating into October.........
Old 09-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Registered

a little info that might help you think some things through, i also do not know much about your boat persoanl, but i do know some about motors. I own an auto repair and custom car build shop. We build alot of what i will call mid level bbc. I have a company that sell a stroker kit for the bbc. at .060 you will have a 496 and at .100 you will have a 505. this kit comes with scat crank,scat forged h bean rods with full floating pins, rods ar 6.325 i beleive, rods that have been clearanced some to help reduce the clearancing needed in the block, forged ross piston that are +18cc, rings, bearing,flex plate, dampner and balanced.

When assemblied into a stk deack block your piston will be .010 in the hole and with 121 cc heads you will have 10:1 with a .040 gasket. For a boat i would look to put a .100 gasket in and bring the ratio down closer to 9.5:1 and if you dont go crazy witht the timing you will be good on pump gas.

i have one of these kits together in a drag car th at we used 11occ heads and thin gaskets to put it close rto 11.25 if i recall the number, dyno out about 650 with al heads and thats before the 250 hp spray kit. motor has been together for 5 years now without the valve cover ever being cracked he is turning almost 7000 and races every weekend. so i would feel good with these parts living at 5000 as we all run in the boats for long time duration.

kit runs 1995 unbalanced, no flex plate how you would need it should be about 1750. you would still have to get it balnced with your marine flywheel( much heavier than an auto flex plate ) at your machine shop when they do the final block clearnacing. alot of times you can find another454 block from between 250-500 this would allow you to recover some cost by selling your motor as running used motor with documented hours.

if you would like some more info just pm and i will get it to you.

you would have about 750-1000 in machine work at a shop, and then all you need is a set of heads, i would guess you would not want use the peanut port heads on a motor like this

Last edited by bens87241; 09-14-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
Hope to be out on Sunday and planing a trip to PIB next Saturday the 22nd. As long as the weather holds out and I don't hit anything else I hope to be boating into October.........
Right on, I'm out of town until Monday night, then hope to be back on the water that same weekend, maybe I'll see you around. I also have the same plan, to boat into October as always...weather dependent of course.

I hadn't heard/saw that you hit something, there has been a lot of that this year with the water being so low!
Old 09-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
Right on, I'm out of town until Monday night, then hope to be back on the water that same weekend, maybe I'll see you around. I also have the same plan, to boat into October as always...weather dependent of course.

I hadn't heard/saw that you hit something, there has been a lot of that this year with the water being so low!
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...y-weekend.html

Still limping along on bent prop shaft and garage repaired prop.....

Sorry for the hi-jack.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rockfish71
Well it's all what you want if you plan to keep it for a while put the power you want in it it's not a race hull but it will run strong. You can repower the boat back to the way it was if you sell it and then you will have a higher power motor for the new boat that don't have higher power. yes you will send big cash for the power

I have a 1992 236 Rinker it is a diffrent hull they where more a sport power boat hull that will run with any boat that size they came a 435 hp 502 that ran 70 stock like the stingray Baja boats
I'm running a 502 625hp 28 pitch bravo 1.5 ratio and will run 87 mph @5200 rpm 5% slip and will run 92 mph with a 30 pitch bravo and it runs very stable at thoses speeds the hull is in the water that helps I run the detroit river and alot of lake Erie all summer log.
check out my link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Edrq...hannel&list=UL
So was that you today? Teal Liberator. Fastest Rinker I've seen.

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 08-04-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking of replacing the weak 5.0MPI with a 496 in a 2004 Rinker 232 if it will fit. I don't know if the geometry has changed since adding the walk-thru from the earlier 232s that had 454's I am definitely going to repower but I would go big block if it would fit. Otherwise it will be a small block 6.2. I'm not looking to go 70mph but 55 would be fine with me.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 752 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by robyw1
I'm thinking of replacing the weak 5.0MPI with a 496 in a 2004 Rinker 232 if it will fit. I don't know if the geometry has changed since adding the walk-thru from the earlier 232s that had 454's I am definitely going to repower but I would go big block if it would fit. Otherwise it will be a small block 6.2. I'm not looking to go 70mph but 55 would be fine with me.
My '99 232 Rinker would run 52 MPH GPS with a stock 5.7EFI (260 HP). Same hull as your 2004. The walk-thru may make it tough to access the port side of the motor on a 496 swap. A 6.2 will get you to 55 MPH.