Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   SCX Right Side Cavitation Plate Pitting WHY! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/285129-scx-right-side-cavitation-plate-pitting-why.html)

goebel1 09-19-2012 09:55 PM

SCX Right Side Cavitation Plate Pitting WHY!

1 Attachment(s)
Just one side of the cavitation plate is peeling the paint off from front to back side underneath and burning thru the anodized coating and closer to where the prop is its beginning to pit the plate. My thru hull water pickup is on the left side nothing is inline with the right side to interfere with water flow. Has anybody run across this?

ezstriper 09-20-2012 02:23 PM

see any blueing on the prop ? sounds like you are boiling the water there, sounds weird but with certain prop/drive/hull combo's have seen it...water actually boils to the point of discoloring the prop and or drive...

goebel1 09-20-2012 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ezstriper (Post 3780862)
see any blueing on the prop ? sounds like you are boiling the water there, sounds weird but with certain prop/drive/hull combo's have seen it...water actually boils to the point of discoloring the prop and or drive...

There is no blueing on the prop. It has defiantly burn thru the paint and anodizing on one side. What is weird is why the paint peel from front to back on one side. Its a V-hull, drive is 2-1/2" below 900+ HP @ 6400. No slip jumps on plan and hall a$$. Has 12% slip over all with a bravo style Hering.

goebel1 09-20-2012 09:30 PM

Any words of wisdom.

Too Stroked 09-21-2012 06:31 AM

Not that this answers your question, but I think youre going to find that there is no anodizing under the paint on that (or any) drive. There is a multiple step clean, etch, prime and paint process used there, but not anodizing.

goebel1 09-21-2012 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Too Stroked (Post 3781344)
Not that this answers your question, but I think youre going to find that there is no anodizing under the paint on that (or any) drive. There is a multiple step clean, etch, prime and paint process used there, but not anodizing.

When I talk to IMCO they said anodizing maybe I misunderstood them.

1 MAIDEN AMERICA 09-21-2012 09:51 AM

Maybe the paint that's peeling ahead of the pitting is coming back and sand blasting that area. I know IMCO's had paint issues.

Too Stroked 09-21-2012 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by goebel1 (Post 3781411)
When I talk to IMCO they said anodizing maybe I misunderstood them.

Hmmm, if that is indeed anodizing under the paint, that would explain a few things. It's pretty tough to get paint to adhere to anodizing.

goebel1 09-21-2012 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA (Post 3781489)
Maybe the paint that's peeling ahead of the pitting is coming back and sand blasting that area. I know IMCO's had paint issues.

I did talk with Imco and they did say if I send it back they will take of it. But this wont fix the pitting problem if there is a issue.