Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Scat cast cranks (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/285262-scat-cast-cranks.html)

MILD THUNDER 09-22-2012 08:50 AM

Scat cast cranks

Anyone have any experiance with scats cast cranks? This winter I plan to freshen up the 454 in my old school dually.

It currently has the stock cast GM 4.0" crank, thought of doing the 4.25'' crank. Looking for towing torque, engine will never see more than probably 4500rpm. 275 bucks for a new Scat stroker crank is appealing, although I dont wanna spend a bunch of money on heavy metal to get it to balance ok.

TylerBurich 09-22-2012 08:54 AM

Currently running a Scat cast stroker crank in my dads YJ. It's in a one piece main sbc. So far so good!

Lighting Bolt 09-22-2012 09:33 AM

I ran a scat 9000 crank in a budget built turbo motor for 3yrs. It was making around a 1000hp and It held up fine. As a matter of a fact the block ended up cracking before before I hurt anything else. Still have the crank and plan on using it again when I get back to that motor.

MILD THUNDER 09-22-2012 09:40 AM

I would like to think for a 489CI, small oval port headed, low rpm tow motor it should be just fine. I have access to a 502 block, but I think for what Im doing, I'd take the stroker 489 over the 502, for torque. Then again, the stroker in the 502 block would be nice too! :cartman:

mike tkach 09-22-2012 10:10 AM

joe,lets find a wrecked truck wirh a duramax in it and do the swap.

TylerBurich 09-22-2012 10:24 AM

I don't know what year your truck is but I worked with a guy who had a mid 80's GMC classy chassis with a straight six Isuzu diesel. It was set up for pulling cross country, the fuel economy was in the mid twenties or something.

Full Force 09-22-2012 10:24 AM

I have SCAT cast cranks in mine now, both engines... 5 seasons all good

Its more about how good it's balanced, that makes o breaks any engine in my opinion...

I can hold mine to 5000 and I don't feel ANY vibration whatsoever..

FIXX 09-22-2012 12:50 PM

fixx

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 3782178)
joe,lets find a wrecked truck wirh a duramax in it and do the swap.

Cummins isb,,way easier and cheaper..

joe,been their and done it...you will still need the retrofit 502 injectors, the prom and a adjustable fuel pressure regulator..i have a set of heads for a mark block that are reworked if yours are wore out ill let you have cheap..

MILD THUNDER 09-22-2012 02:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mrfixxall (Post 3782251)
Cummins isb,,way easier and cheaper..

joe,been their and done it...you will still need the retrofit 502 injectors, the prom and a adjustable fuel pressure regulator..i have a set of heads for a mark block that are reworked if yours are wore out ill let you have cheap..

Mike, I plan to ditch that prehistoric TBI system entirely. Just probably bolt a quadrajet on it. My buddy has a quadrajet off his 454/370HP boat motors that worked awesome last season. He switched to holley DPs.

I like the sound of those heads you have. Oval port? I believe my heads are tired. Engine runs well, but quite a bit of blowby .If I remove the PCV from the valve cover, shes blowin smoke pretty good out the valve covers. Im sure the rings are worn pretty good. Weird thing is hook a vacuum gauge to the engine and all is good, no funny business going on.

I seen that place that sells the stuff to drop in the 5.9 cummins motor. However, I get my fill of diesel noise and fumes at work all day. The mpg increase would be nice, but I dont tow that much for it to really matter. Just want a nice fresh motor, that I can still run the air conditioner and have a little more pep than the stocker. Pulls my buddies old Scarab pretty good and my Beaker just fine. Hey looks whos setup that is next to mine! :party-smiley-004:

blue thunder 09-22-2012 07:24 PM

The 9000 scats are good for 500 hp. Maybe a little more. I broke one end of last year after 5 yrs of 475-500hp then 3 yrs of blown 625-650hp 5600rpm rompin. Those cranks are better than they get credit for. I would not hesitate to use one in the application you consider.