most power out of 454 Mark IV ?? N/A >

most power out of 454 Mark IV ?? N/A

Notices

most power out of 454 Mark IV ?? N/A

Old 09-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I hadthe good forged cranks till I had issues and had redo both engines years ago..long story...
Old 09-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Those Merlin heads suck, barely flow at all better than a stock rectangle port, they need to either be ported or sold off IF you want to make any real hp pure and simple. 5400 rpm's is going to hold you back too but I understand the cast crank problem, Smitty
Old 09-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by articfriends
Those Merlin heads suck, barely flow at all better than a stock rectangle port, they need to either be ported or sold off IF you want to make any real hp pure and simple. 5400 rpm's is going to hold you back too but I understand the cast crank problem, Smitty
When I picked up the heads with a ton of parts 5 years ago, I didnt know what I know now, but at least they are still decent heads... The cam will be my change as the otrher parts dont suck that bad...

I will come up with a plan I guess, was looking for dyno sheets on similar setups..
Old 12-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Full Force
I have known Dean for many years, I know all the issues that have been around with them and timeframe, I do all my own building so that does not matter to me, but in the end, like or hate em, he knows how to make power and that is a fact...

great for advice and having a local place to get parts when I need it fast is very nice...
Thanks for the compliment bro! As far as time frame, As long as the client has cash flow, we get it done. No money...No engines. We do the best we can! Thanks again for all your support!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
Thanks for the compliment bro! As far as time frame, As long as the client has cash flow, we get it done. No money...No engines. We do the best we can! Thanks again for all your support!
Nice to hear from ya Dean, I may be doing some cams to wake these up a tad more, we will be talking soon if I do that, might wait one more year, not sure... the engnes perform better in the Cig then they did in the Baja, that hull was slowing me down..
Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 AM
Banned

Call me anytime , I will do what I can on pricing on parts you may need! Have a safe New Year bro!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thx, it all depends on what the gains may be, I wanna see what I can get for power without changing a ton of the combo, if I can get 500-520 hp with a flat tappet I would do it now, if I go roller I will probably wait since that cost is gonna be more to convert and i have other things to do with boat this year like interior, my buddy made 521 with flat tappet, I didnt believe the power gains till his Mistress went 66 mph, that is right on with that hull and power..so I figure I can get 520 or so I hope, I also wanna add a point of compression, I am at 8.4:1 now..
Old 12-28-2012, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just reading your thread and thinking... You have everything working against you. No compression in the motor, bad flowing head and you don't want to spin any rpm... You know today's cast cranks aren't that bad and use the same material as the old factory steel cranks. I wouldn't be afraid of spinning the motor a little bit as long as you had the right cam. But I was just trying to think outside the box a little. Instead of spending the money on the cam and having a lot of labor involved in a swap would it be possible to get some work done to the prop and get the same result without all the labor? Just my .02 cents I've done many cam swaps and just cringe when I think about it. It is definitely a labor of love.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Just reading your thread and thinking... You have everything working against you. No compression in the motor, bad flowing head and you don't want to spin any rpm... You know today's cast cranks aren't that bad and use the same material as the old factory steel cranks. I wouldn't be afraid of spinning the motor a little bit as long as you had the right cam. But I was just trying to think outside the box a little. Instead of spending the money on the cam and having a lot of labor involved in a swap would it be possible to get some work done to the prop and get the same result without all the labor? Just my .02 cents I've done many cam swaps and just cringe when I think about it. It is definitely a labor of love.
Engines are coming out to seal leaks and paint anyway so cams are no big deal to me... I don't the Merlin's are that bad or worse then stock 420 heads... I know in the past when I chose the right cam it made the most difference... If I take em apart at all I will be adding compression...
Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 AM
bwd
Registered

I wouldn't bother touching it unless you were ready to bump the compression. Keep picking Mr Gellner's brain, I hear he is very good. Most can appreciate a do it yourselfer and settle for selling you parts. I had good luck years ago with the 420 platform plus 10:1 comp, A good hydro tappet cam, some minor head work, carb, exhaust and 32 degrees of timing. 540hp@ 5400. 468 cu. Got 700 hours out of them Just my 02.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.