Switched to Amsoil  now this happened >

Switched to Amsoil now this happened

Notices

Switched to Amsoil now this happened

Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched to Amsoil now this happened

Have a 540 bulldog with blower , 6lbs boost, intercooler, 400 hrs on motor, switched from Merc oil to Amsoil............ 1st time out my friend running next to me notices a slight smoke plume trail behind my boat, after pulling boat out I notice more soot than usual on the transom, What gives? Any one ever have these symptoms right after changing to a synthetic oil?.............. checked oil level after the day of running no noticable amount of oil used
Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Registered

Someone else on here may give you a more exact answer but I do know that Amsoil has many different kinds of marine and non marine oils that get pretty specific on which ones work best for certain engines ie high zinc, low zinc, roller lifters etc. Seeing that you are running a blower I would get ahold of a Amsoil rep that knows his stuff and see what's best for your application.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Registered

So why did you switch? I mean, was there a reason?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Registered

seen it happen in cars before...400 hours is equivalent of a high mileage car...when you switch to synthetic,they start pumping oil...you switch them back to regular oil and the problem disapears
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Which Amsoil product are you using? They make more varieties than just about anyone. I have switched high mileage vehicles from refined oil to synthetics with no problems. The only time you may have a problem is when you have an excessive amount of sludge and varnish built up from a low detergent oil and switch to a high grade synthetic which will loosen up the sludge and varnish and open up clearances. I once worked on an old 265 Mustang that had so much sludge that oil couldn't get to the valves. Once I cleaned it up it smoked like a mosquito fogger. Tell us the product code and I can tell you if you are using the ideal product for your application.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Registered

I switched at the recommendation of a good mechanic thats been working on my boat, Amsoil Dominator racing oil 15-50. I will run the boat this week end and see if it gets any better. If it's just cleaning out the crud I would think that would be a good thing. Right?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Registered

depends on the ammount of crud. If there is alot it can clog the oil pickup (worst case senario) but if you've been good on oil intervals, you should be fine
Old 08-21-2012, 12:02 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thisislivin is very correct about his statements as the esters used in the syn oils help remove / clean certain deposits & sludge that was built up. Overtime some older seals that are not as plyable as they use to be can leak because of the cleaned up deposits & sludge around them. This cleaning process does not happen right away either.

Last edited by BUP; 08-21-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
Which Amsoil product are you using? They make more varieties than just about anyone. I have switched high mileage vehicles from refined oil to synthetics with no problems. The only time you may have a problem is when you have an excessive amount of sludge and varnish built up from a low detergent oil and switch to a high grade synthetic which will loosen up the sludge and varnish and open up clearances. I once worked on an old 265 Mustang that had so much sludge that oil couldn't get to the valves. Once I cleaned it up it smoked like a mosquito fogger. Tell us the product code and I can tell you if you are using the ideal product for your application.
260 or 289

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
260 or 289
I stand corrected it was a 260, 265 was Chevy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.