Gimbal trashed,need hep >

Gimbal trashed,need hep

Notices

Gimbal trashed,need hep

Old 10-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gimbal trashed,need hep

A buddy of mine bought a used boat this summer and found his gimbal was trashed from the inside. The motor is out and getting rebuilt, so access isn't a problem. It looks like previous owner broke a u-joint and it chewed the crap out of things. It is a 27ft Daytona and I think it has a standard Bravo 1 on it. Take a look at the picture and see if you can tell me what parts we need to get. I'm not sure if we can get by with just the transom plate or if the Gimbal housing is screwed up also. Might need to pull it all apart before making the final determination, but thought I would get some input and opinions.
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/...pse6b675bf.jpg

Rockie
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Was this the boat that was sold because the previous owner's girfriend said it was too big? If so engine failure and this all in a few months?

Look around, I see used bravo transom assemb out there all the time. Also a good time to upgrade other things in that area if he is running bigger power
Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Registered

Yes it was, kind of got a bad deal on that one, and the guy changed the gimbal bearing so he had to know something wasn't right. I was looking in the swap shop and seen a few that have sold already. What upgrades would be good to look at?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 28Eliminator
Yes it was, kind of got a bad deal on that one, and the guy changed the gimbal bearing so he had to know something wasn't right. I was looking in the swap shop and seen a few that have sold already. What upgrades would be good to look at?
Many offer a SS upgraded ring

Might want to upgrade to the stronger Bravo HP assembly. BAM used to offer an HP upgrade kit for about $1000, you may want to call them.

Also Max machine worx (if he is still around) has some gimbal upgrades for bravo set ups.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Registered

ok, we will look at options for upgrading gimbal components, as it needs replaced. I txt Ed and he said the whole bearing surface is f'd and broken, so it needs replaced as well as the transom plate.