Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
trying to wake up from a 15 yr nap..... >

trying to wake up from a 15 yr nap.....

Notices

trying to wake up from a 15 yr nap.....

Old 10-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

moto, you have it backwards. the diff between a rat and a mouse at the same power USE not rating is longevity. a 260 hp smallblock is screaming if you use all of it's 260 hp. a 454 using 260 hp is barely on the secondaries. they outlive small blocks by a large margin in every case of similar use. and the weight-size diff under the hatch is minimal. and fuel burn is decided by how fast you make the hull go, not how many inches is pushing it. if my engines were 2 inches farther apart in my Nova...
Old 10-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Well the 320s running 63 or so makes sense pretty close to big block 330s. Maybe all the other 260s I've seen we're worn out lol
Old 10-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much to all who responded. This will help me make a more educated and informed decision with the "napping" Formula or whatever boat I choose. I've also learned that advice from those not trying to be a jerk is also helpful, even if it does move the thread off topic. Now, I like to think of myself as more of an ass than a horse, but hey...8 yrs from now that may change, right? No plans to go anywhere, either. I'm going to "fit right in" here on OSO!
I anticipate a purchase of something in the next few weeks and can't wait till next season. If the winter goes longer than normal, I'm to blame for buying the new boat . Sorry. Thanks for following along.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:57 AM
Registered

also, keep in mind, a lot of boats are gonna be popping up for sale and very few buyers...nobody gets their asking price.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
also, keep in mind, a lot of boats are gonna be popping up for sale and very few buyers...nobody gets their asking price.
Good point. It is that time of year....
Old 10-31-2012, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

FWIW, I bought a project '84 Formula One (17') last fall. Original owner, 400 hrs. It had been wrapped up since 1995. Merc V6. Fortunately, always a fresh water lake boat so no corrosion issues to deal with.

Here's what I did to wake it up:

Motor appeared to be stuck from sitting, Pulled all plugs, squirted Marvel Mystry oil in all cyls, let sit for a couple days. Waited and still stuck, next step was to pull drive, found gimbal bearing siezed. Replaced and motor, spun just fine. Installed new plugs.

Changed oil (Rotella, concerned about flat tappet cam wear during initial start up) hooked up an outboard tank and primed fuel system, she started right up, ran rough for a few minutes and came right out of it.

Alll bellows needed replaced, aft shift cable too.

Water pump junk

Starter motor junk

New battery

New bilge pump

Pumped stale fuel out through the fuel pick-up. Aluminum tank was fine. In fact, I did not even remove the carb.

Replaced fuel line

I had my fingers crossed when first splashed but it ran just fine. I put 70 hrs on it this season with no issues at all, it proved to be a really fun little boat.

Just winterized, pulled drive to find the upper input shaft seal had puked some gear oil into the bellows, not a lot but enough to need replacing. Must have been a bit of rust on the yoke. Will replace in spring.

If you do buy, I'm sure it will need all the above, x2.

Personally, I enjoy projects like this but as mentioned above, it needs to be a deal because even if the motors are fine, it can get costly.

Up here in Maine, a clean, running 292 will bring 12k on the trailer. I'd offer 7k or so...?

Good luck,

Kurt
Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think all these guys are bringing up good points moto. I've been looking for the right 272 for a while so I know how this goes and I have owned BBC boats and SBC boats. There isn't a comparison. It's $150 for a day on the water in either. Lets be honest, there aren't really any of us that sit down at the end of the day with a calculator, a gas receipt, and our gps log to figure out what the boat pulled for MPG that day.... Dual big blocks might burn 30% more fuel wide open, but they will burn equal at a 35mph cruise or really any cruising point.

Now let's touch on that napping issue. The bottom line, everything in that boat not made out of metal, wood, or fiberglass, is suspect. The hoses, vinyl, electronics, etc are all dealing with corrosion and fatigue due to sitting. The valve springs are shot even if they look good. Head gaskets need to be used to stay good, otherwise they dry rot away and you'll likely blow them in the first season. Same is true of intake gaskets. The starter solenoids may work initially but are going to fail along with Alternators. Marvel oil in the cylinders helps, but the fact of the matter is you are going to have some level of corrosion build up inside the motor. Ever notice how those awesome "barn find" classic cars always get trailered away? There is a reason.

Then there is the price. An '89 272 SR-1 sold about 2hrs away from me with 650-ish hours on 350/alpha's for $7800 on a dual axle trailer about 2mons ago. There are 272 square windshield boats all over for 10K or less, turn key on a trailer, and there are plenty BBC/Bravo options in 272/292/311 for under 20K on trailers.

Bottom line: It's your money and what you want and are going to be happy with matters most... But chances are you are going to go way way upside down with this particular boat. The guys on this forum, myself included, don't have a dog in this fight, so they are simply looking out for your best interest. Good luck in your search and with whatever project you buy (all boats are a project. Just accept it now).

Anybody else want this soap box? I'm all done now
Old 11-01-2012, 04:35 AM
Registered

Default Stll in the hunt

I'm still hunting. Looking high and low and willing to travel for the right boat at the right price. I am fussy (wife says it's more like anal.....whatever) about condition. Please keep me in mind if anyone out there happens across a NICE late 80's272 SR1 and shoot any info my way. OSO is becoming a damn addiction, so I will get the message in short order. Thank you gentlemen.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:27 AM
Registered

moto, where be ye. cuz if you're in seattle, a miami boat isn't doable even if it is perfect and free...
Old 11-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by motocop
I'm still hunting. Looking high and low and willing to travel for the right boat at the right price. I am fussy (wife says it's more like anal.....whatever) about condition. Please keep me in mind if anyone out there happens across a NICE late 80's272 SR1 and shoot any info my way. OSO is becoming a damn addiction, so I will get the message in short order. Thank you gentlemen.
I talked to my co-worker, he isn't willing o do anything until spring, he has it all wrapped up and put away for the winter and locked down on his covered hoist with no good way to get it off. If you haven't found one by spring, let me know, and I will get you in touch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.