Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best way to mark con rods and caps on disassembly >

Best way to mark con rods and caps on disassembly

Notices

Best way to mark con rods and caps on disassembly

Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

you would need to buy a rod bolt stretsh guage,look it up on summit or jegs,not real pricy.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Budman II
Apparently it is not the impact from the stamp itself that can cause the issues, but the stress risers that can develop and spread. Probably not as much of a factor on stock applications.

I am going to use a dremel attachemtn for etching just in case.

BTW, some articles recommend measuring rod bolt stretch rather than torque measurements for installing the rod bolts. How can you measure bolt stretch on the newer cap screws used on the Eagle and Scat H beam rods?
like mike said,,i like the arp rod bolt stretch gauge..ALLnew rod bolts must be stretched first of your rod boltw will come loose..b4 the gauge came out we use to over torque the rod bolts by 10 ft lbs and then leave it sit over night and the next day loosen them and torque to spec..
Old 12-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
How can you measure bolt stretch on the newer cap screws used on the Eagle and Scat H beam rods?
The threaded hole IS open on the bottom so the threaded end of the bolt is exposed for using the stretch tool.
http://hotrodenginetech.com/how-to-t...ch-a-rod-bolt/

I assume you were thinking the threaded holes were blind.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:41 AM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts

Can also use a white paint pen if your not getting the rods bead blasted etc.

I enjoy experimenting w/some of the junk I pull off the scrap pile. I could write a book w/some of the things that have worked which I should have never tried and was told would never work.
My favorites are mismatched lower unit gears and re-using rod bolts.
This is O/B applications.
I got backed in the corner one time on the L.H. lower unit on my old Sonic. No time to acquire parts so into the scrap box I went.
I had a LH fwd gear and LH pinion gear but not a matched set which we all know is mandatory.
Screwed it together hoping to get through the weekend being easy on it. This was on a surfacing application too.
Checked the fluid after the fact and it was perfect! After that, I then tried to blow it apart and could not. Lost track at 67 hrs w/zero shavings in oil. I've now done the same thing 3 times so I'm pretty sure it's beyond coincidence.

The other one is rod bolts. I've reused the same OEM bolts out of a bazzilion hr, 5500 RPM 200 HP V-6 O/B after modding the same motor to 300 HP+ and 8K + w/ZERO issues, ever.

Fun what you can learn when your not afraid to blow your junk up
Old 12-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
like mike said,,i like the arp rod bolt stretch gauge..ALLnew rod bolts must be stretched first of your rod boltw will come loose..b4 the gauge came out we use to over torque the rod bolts by 10 ft lbs and then leave it sit over night and the next day loosen them and torque to spec..
mrfixxall, we are talking about a 30-hour engine here - do I still need new rod bolts? Is it a fatigue issue with replacing the bolts?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

MrFixx, after re-reading your post, I may have misunderstood. Were you stating that I should replace my rod bolts after 30 hours, or were you stating that is new rod bolts are being used, you have to use a stretch gauge to ensure that they are not going to come loose?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Can also use a white paint pen if your not getting the rods bead blasted etc.

I enjoy experimenting w/some of the junk I pull off the scrap pile. I could write a book w/some of the things that have worked which I should have never tried and was told would never work.
My favorites are mismatched lower unit gears and re-using rod bolts.
This is O/B applications.
I got backed in the corner one time on the L.H. lower unit on my old Sonic. No time to acquire parts so into the scrap box I went.
I had a LH fwd gear and LH pinion gear but not a matched set which we all know is mandatory.
Screwed it together hoping to get through the weekend being easy on it. This was on a surfacing application too.
Checked the fluid after the fact and it was perfect! After that, I then tried to blow it apart and could not. Lost track at 67 hrs w/zero shavings in oil. I've now done the same thing 3 times so I'm pretty sure it's beyond coincidence.

The other one is rod bolts. I've reused the same OEM bolts out of a bazzilion hr, 5500 RPM 200 HP V-6 O/B after modding the same motor to 300 HP+ and 8K + w/ZERO issues, ever.

Fun what you can learn when your not afraid to blow your junk up
i like the thinkin put it together' run the **** out it
Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts
Default One of my idols once told me......

Originally Posted by happy
i like the thinkin put it together' run the **** out it
"I take great pride it digging junk out a competitors scrap pile, reassembling a motor out of it and then beating them with it"