Notices

Do you get nervousness when you see " 0 hours on rebuild"

Old 12-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Sounds like Jasper back in the day.
their still the same,,just did a swap on a 350 ,,had 800 mikes and the bottom end sounded like your engine in the race boat..
Old 12-13-2012, 12:13 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Agree with who did the rebuild but also how in detailed they were like I see alot stupid stuff that goes unoticed - reused & external stuff.

Old t-stat reused / t-stat housing internally rusted really bad to the point the ports are almost blocked off.

Old water circ pump reused or carb never rebuilt or fuel injectors never flowed tested also gas tank never check for any forms of contamination, old fuel filters untouched, fuel pumps never flowed pressure tested, exhaust manifoilds & risers never checked. fresh fuel & proper octane being used ? but at least the motor was rebuilt seems to be the huge selling point.

Some rebuilders and or owners miss alot of stuff for the rebuild. Alot needs to be done after the fact plus find the cause of the failure to begin with so it does not happen again.

Also seems not many engine reman companies that are top notch either. Grooms use to be good but have not seen anything from them in a while on the marine side of things

Last edited by BUP; 12-13-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I heard one horror story about Jasper, a local machine shop was fixing a sb chevy that had problems, when he tore it down it had 3 different style valves in the heads, the heads were clearly welded where there was a crack and then ground (and were of course cracked next to the repair) and crank was ground .040 under, looked like a 14 year old was in charge, Smitty

I have seen the exact same thing from jasper..absolute junk..welded heads that fail, but they advertise great !! on the zero hours deal...consider most all junk...work from there...
Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Registered

Last edited by POWERPLAY J; 12-13-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Registered

I heard one horror story about Jasper, a local machine shop was fixing a sb chevy that had problems, when he tore it down it had 3 different style valves in the heads, the heads were clearly welded where there was a crack and then ground (and were of course cracked next to the repair) and crank was ground .040 under, looked like a 14 year old was in charge, Smitty
The new engine in the boat I bought was built by a reputable marine race engine guy on here. Had 3 different type valves, 2 different springs (one broken) and the wrong cam. Just goes to show ya can't trust anyone.

But it did have a new block and I have a reciept for 9k I can laugh at.

Last edited by POWERPLAY J; 12-13-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
The new engine in the boat I bought was built by a reputable marine race engine guy on here. Had 3 different type valves, 2 different springs (one broken) and the wrong cam. Just goes to show ya can't trust anyone.

DAMN, no legal recourse?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Registered

DAMN, no legal recourse?
I am sure there could have been. But I personally did not sign the check. So I have never outed said builder. I got a great deal on boat and life goes on...
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it says Mercury on it, if it is new or rebuilt, figure 50 hours max before it needs rebuilt again then you will not be disappointed.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J

Not surprised.....that's one of the main reasons I try to do all my own stuff.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Not surprised.....that's one of the main reasons I try to do all my own stuff.
+1 here also,
And I still have to deal with exact details with the machine shops around here, because they try to spec everything like they are building a 700hp small block sprint car motor. I give them the clearances I want and then have to verify after the work is done. Got burned on that before from one shop and never have returned. Can't really go back at them because motor runs fine and the problem don't show up for months or the next year after breakin time and you really run it.

Talk to the builder and verify they will warranty the motor is your best bet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.