Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   any reason not to by Mayfair steering? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/289324-any-reason-not-mayfair-steering.html)

looseconnection 12-26-2012 05:25 PM

any reason not to by Mayfair steering?

Just checking before i purchase. Dual bravo application full system.

LC

Audiofn 12-27-2012 12:08 AM

Will be interested to see if anyone has sourced seals and such for repairs. They are killer systems and very high quality but may be hard to fix.

rv 12-27-2012 06:08 AM

I think Hardin marine carries them and parts.

boatme 12-27-2012 07:13 AM

I had them on my Black Thunder and had ZERO problems with them

bcfountain 12-27-2012 07:24 AM

i had mayfair on a 22pachanga.no problems.i bought it through cp performance.i think they own hardin marine.not sure .

jbraun2828 12-27-2012 08:19 AM

I bought the kit last year. I'm happy with it, easy to install and I didn't have any problems last summer

looseconnection 12-27-2012 08:35 AM

I like the fact you do not have to drill and tap the outdirve casing in any way, but I do worry about removing/replacing the studs holding the drive to the bellhousing to install the wing plate.

Thanks for the comments. Any pictures of the hardware, the online resources are somewhat low quality pics you cannot tell much from.

LC

ezstriper 12-27-2012 08:41 AM

no matter what you buy consider having all your hoses made locally with press on fittings !!!! with the hose/end issues that were all over in the last year never trust anybodys...my .02

looseconnection 12-27-2012 08:41 AM

I like the fact you do not have to drill and tap the outdirve casing in any way, but I do worry about removing/replacing the studs holding the drive to the bellhousing to install the wing plate.

Thanks for the comments. Any pictures of the hardware, the online resources are somewhat low quality pics you cannot tell much from.

LC

RAPTOR1 12-27-2012 04:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by looseconnection (Post 3838416)

LC

Had a nick in one of the cyl. rods and it started to leak a little. I had them rebuilt at a local hyd. shop for less than 200.00. Removing the old studs may give you some trouble, I'm getting ready to switch mine into some new transom assys. I do run in salt but you can see that looking at my tabs! These pics are of the old style but the mounting is the same. This steering is 14 years old with upgraded stainless fittings.