Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
More On Engine Oil >

More On Engine Oil

Notices

More On Engine Oil

Old 02-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I think his comments are pointed at me as I did say synthetic oil does not come from the ground. I DID say it is made from natural gas. I DID say it was not made from crude. Yes, natural gas does come from the ground..........you are right. I think that the readers knew what I was saying. But, again you are right in that natural gas comes from the ground. The important thing here is that many guys just don't know the difference. In a simple way, a little bit of educating without a masters degree in chemistry, is all that toyo321 and myself were trying to offer.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

The oil arguments always make me laugh, marketing is more a factor than anything. I happen to be employed by one of the largest oil manufactures in the US, my company also owns one of the few oil testing labs in the US.

Base oil quality is no longer defined by just three simple categories consisting of conventional, semi-synthetic, and synthetic. With the introduction of new processes and feed stocks over the past dozen years, we now have numerous base oils grades and blends thereof, resulting in a continuum of base oil quality, such as:

Grp I
Grp I & II blend
Grp I & III blend
Grp II
Grp II & III blend
Grp II+
Grp III
Grp III & IV blend
Grp III+
Grp III & IV & V blend
Grp III+ & IV & V blend
Grp IV & V blend

While the exact quality order of such base oil selections is debatable and dependent on component grade and ratios, the point is that the quality steps are now so small as to make labels such as semi-synthetic and synthetic difficult if not impossible to place. The industry chose to draw a line between Grp II and Grp III in defining “synthetic”, but the difference is merely a single VI point, and therefore meaningless from a performance standpoint.

Certainly there is a meaningful difference between the low end and high end of the spectrum, such as Grp I vs a Grp IV/V blend, but the difference between adjacent levels, and really even levels that are three, four, or five apart, is easily blurred by the additive system.

Hence, the great debate over “synthetic” versus “true synthetic” is dead. The use of the word synthetic today only signifies that the base oil blend leans toward the higher end of quality continuum, and translating that further into finished oil performance becomes a stretch.

You are better served concentrating on specifications and approvals rather than base oils for estimating oil performance. Difference in wear rarely shows up in engine testing labs, in fact other conditions that would cause the engine to fail regardless are used to get the oil temps hot enough to show a difference in a Group II to a Group IV.

Has any one here ever heard of an engine builder say "If you used brand X oil instead of brand Y oil we wouldn't have had this problem" Seriously, it doesn't happen.

Marketing

Last edited by 4bus; 02-11-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toyo321
. Some use crude oil bases that are refined into this compound. That is why it is called a semi synthetic.
NO, not at all. semi synthetic base stocks are made by the coumpounder/blender of the oil. You cannot go to Exxon/Mobile and by a semi synthetic base stock.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Close,
It is more than an additive package that makes petroleum based oil a synthetic, it is the refinement process. Refining ground based oil multiple times removes the impurities and creates more uniform molecules.
This might be the case for a Group III, but it is not the case for a Group IV or V. The add pak has nothing to do if the oil is synthetic or not.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by benjen
Yes, I do understand that. I was just trying to generalize my reply of the oil was not crude oil pumped out of the ground.
benjen, please read my last response to you. Group III oils are petroleum.......marketing calls them synthetic.

True synthetics that are made from alcohols, nat gas, etc are not considered petroleum oils.

Last edited by minxguy; 02-12-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I had no intentions of getting invloved in this oil discussion period. However, I am from MA. watching the snow fall and I guess fall and fall some more. So, I was getting bored. If I may be so bold as to comment about price. I know in this economy we are all being hit. But, one serious afternoon of boating cost $200 in fuel and yet a lot of the post here tell me you don't want to spend the same $200 for an oil change that last, lets say 6 or more boating days! How much do your engines cost? Now I'm not a chemist or an engine builder, but certain things are just facts. If your engine has no issues and is being run under "normal" conditions than really almost any good quality oil will be ok. However, our boat engines see a much tougher life than an automotive engine and I doubt would be considered "normal" operating conditions. Our engines are under power all the time and usually being run at higher RPM's. So, with that said there really is a good case that can be made for using synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is not pumped out of the ground. It has NO impurities. It is made in a lab. I made this example on OSO once before. Let's assume you have a 1 foot square piece of glass. Go outside and try to find 50 pebbles as equal in size as you possibly can. Place them on the table and put the glass on top. Looking through the glass how many spots do you think will make contact? Probably 1/4 maybe 1/3. That is a mineral based oil. Now put 50 marbles on the table and place the glass on top. There will be 100% contact. That's synthetic oil. Your bearings are facing that same exact scenario. I don't know about you, but I would prefer that my bearing surface is completely in touch with the oil. Probably the big advantages, I would think, are a much better bonding of the oil to the surfaces being protected as well as a broader temperature range. Oh, by the way Brad Penn is a partial synthetic oil which is why it is cheaper than the synthetics. Not sure what partial means exactly.
You know guys as usual these threads start to turn. I made a point on Friday as to why synthetic is better than crude. And why that reason is a pretty good reason to consider in a boat engine. Maybe not your typical cruiser, but certainly in a go fast engine. I believe the above example, although maybe not exactly what takes place is pretty darn close. You can diss that explanation with your chemical background all you want. But, to the layman, which I am by the way......I'm not holding back and all of a sudden going to satrt laying some big stats on you. This was a simple and accurate description of the difference between crude and synthetic.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

You know guys as usual these threads start to turn. I made a point on Friday as to why synthetic is better than crude. And why that reason is a pretty good reason to consider in a boat engine. Maybe not your typical cruiser, but certainly in a go fast engine. I believe the above example, although maybe not exactly what takes place is pretty darn close. You can diss that explanation with your chemical background all you want. But, to the layman, which I am by the way......I'm not holding back and all of a sudden going to satrt laying some big stats on you. This was a simple and accurate description of the difference between crude and synthetic.
You need to run a oil that works for you and your budget. Then get it tested after you have run for a while under your typical driving conditions that you will normally subject your boat to, after a regular oil change interval get what ever oil you are using tested. Only the UOA test will show if your oil is working well for your engine and how much life" protection additives " were still left in the oil when you changed it.

Just buy the best oil you can afford and change it a couple times to see how it looks and if you can get it tested. But yes any oil today that meets API standards of today will work okay in your boat if you change it on a regular basis. Even if its not Synthetic. Synthetic can go much longer between oil changes.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Panther.. you don`t have sales tax where you live?
Hey ICDEDPPL.
Yes I do 11% and 6% for alcoholic beverages at the state store. No tax on oil or gas, I'm not a lawyer but it looks like oil is taxed ONE time only in this state. UNLESS U SHOP AT CHINAMART

Gas stations here do charge 3 to 6 cents or more for 9/10 of a gallon of fuel if you use your credit card.
Saw a lady from out of town at the grocery store and she could not understand why she was taxed for food. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_t..._United_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_ta..._United_States

Last edited by 30ftpanther; 02-13-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: walmart bashing
Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Registered

Does anyone use Royal Purple in their engines? What do you know about it. Good or bad?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by toyo321
But yes any oil today that meets API standards of today will work okay in your boat if you change it on a regular basis. Even if its not Synthetic. Synthetic can go much longer between oil changes.

And, in the end, THAT is what it all really comes down to!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.